No. of Recommendations: 2
I just opened an EMC position (split my buy actually - part the day before the big drop, part after; thank goodness for unlimited trades...by the way, I'm usually not that lucky). I think the long term potential for EMC is there. Value Line puts the 3-5 yr price target at $115-170.

I'm holding other tech stocks as part of a diversified portfolio (which is 1/3 tech). My other tech holdings with big appreciation potential include (with VL 3-5 yr targets): BEA systems ($65-110); Verisign ($190-320); QLogic ($140-230); Rambus ($55-90); and Ciena ($75-115). Most of these have really been hurt during the tech crunch. They may be hurt even more - hence diversification.

If you'll allow me an aside here - this diversification approach is new for me but the values just seem too compelling. During May and June while the NAZ was in a trading range I traded in and out of stocks using TA and studying chart patterns. My personal observation was that TA works - MOSTLY. However, it requires that you watch your stocks like a hawk and absorbs a significant amount of time. Time taken away from wife and kids in my case. My family deserves better so I switched to more hands-off portfolio where I stand now.

I think in a year or two many stocks (tech included, but beyond that) will seem cheap at these prices. Sure, things look ugly now but I don't think McDonald's or Ford are going out of business. I consider myself a growth investor not value - but many growth stocks have fallen to value stock prices. Randy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement