UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157  
Subject: Re: Calypso Wireless Date: 12/15/2005 11:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just read about something and if it sounds good I buy some shares and hope for the best. In your opinion, are you better of purchasing say Best Buy or some known company than taking the chance?

This is so subjective a question, that what works for one, may not work for another. But I'll butt in and offer the thoughts your question brought up.

Your investing style is as good as it works for you. If you read about something, like it, invest in it, and make money (most of the time)....then it works for you.
I actually invest somewhat similarly to this. 85% of my decision to buy is based on news, products, customers. If all of those things tell me a company has something...then I will look at some numbers. I hate numbers, I am a literary person. I only resort to the numbers to see if they are making money or spending it on $3mill parties in Europe.

As for what you are better off buying....that depends again. Do you like risky stocks? That means that you should expect most of them to tank and one or two to skyrocket...so that you end up with more than you lost. Do you like more stability? That means you can get fewer big caps and earn a little bit from most to cover the tiny amount you lose on a couple. Basically it all comes down to consistency, effort, and can you sleep at night.

So, for me, only about 10-15% of my money goes into stocks like CLYW. (and SIRI). The rest goes into more growth companies and dividend payers. But like I said before, I am consistent with my moves in each arena. Don't change you plan on emotion or wallstreet babble. Follow the plan to each milestone...only then re-evaluate.

Buffy (who isn't a guru, but has some war wounds to live with...)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement