Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121177  
Subject: Re: 1099 in October Date: 10/12/2013 4:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I just received a corrected 1099 for 2012!

Congratulations! That's the latest one I've heard of.

It changed approximately $43 of Covanta Holding (CVA) distributions from return of capital to qualified dividend. This means I owe about $6 more in taxes. Is there any limitation on how late a corrected 1099 can be issued?

Evidently not. There's bound to be a date beyond which the IRS doesn't care, but I have no idea what date that is.

Aren't companies and brokers supposed to report this information in a timely manner?

Yes. There's even a penalty imposed on them if they don't. I also hear there are unicorn races this weekend.

Since it is obviously well past the April 15 deadline; what are the rules on when I need to file an amended return and how do I avoid penalties?

There's no specified time period after you become aware of the error, but there's no need to let it go on forever. There will be no penalty. Just pay the balance due when you file. They may or may not bill you for the interest. Probably not at this amount.

Actually, today I probably wouldn't even bother amending. It will cost them close to, if not more than what you owe to process the thing. Unless you work for the IRS, where I saw people disciplined for overlooking a 1099 that didn't even change the amount of tax, I wouldn't bother. Don't worry just because you're nominated to be Secretary of the Treasury. Important people don't have to follow the same rules as the drones.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement