Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Re: Will the tax hikes affect your retirement? Date: 10/28/2010 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I just received the info on my current Part D for 2011. The cost is going from $14.33/mo to $23.++ per month starting in January 2011. So, opting to chose another low cost provider instead that takes the cost back to $14.20/mo (thanks WMT and Humana)I have not yet received any info on upcoming supplement cost changes.

Since we've been retired for 15 years, we're likely more skeptical than you youngsters just now facing that event and we know how tax increases hurt. We pay our taxes out of our monthly income, so any increase on that portion of our living expenses must be made up elsewhere. Our only true discretionary spending is on eating out and gasoline for driving. All other money is consumed by monthly house related bills and food, and the occasional entertainment, along with health care. We do manage not to spend all of our monthly income, so that is the good part. We keep a healthy "oh no" account, and a personal escrow account to pay those yearly large bills or to save for our winter trips. But again, this all comes out of our monthly income. Some months are naturally tighter than others.

That said, any increase in those monthly expenses must be made up in other categories as we try to maintain a 2% or less withdrawal rate...sometimes we're successful and sometimes we're just the squashed bug on the windshield.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement