UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tcp100 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308642  
Subject: Re: If you read anything today, read this. Date: 5/6/2003 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the advice and opinions they've given to me in this matter.

In the past few weeks, I've been trying as hard as I could to explore all options in dealing with this incident, but it looks like I've hit a dead end.

The NYPD is now saying that even if I came up there, they probably wouldn't do anything because chances are that they'd have no way to tie an individual person at this address to the fraud.. As they said, they'd show up, people would say they don't know what they're talking about; and since the merchandise is probably already sold, they just wouldn't have any evidence.

So, I've done what I feel is all that's left - I've written my congresspeople, state legislators, governor, and attorney general. That's about all I think I can do now.

It's unfortunate; however I would encourage people to PLEASE write their representatives to try and introduce legislation like the bill being introduced in Texas (I think the number is 405; it was mentioned earlier here.) It makes nothing but sense! Here are some things that I suggest you point out if writing your legislators:

-Credit reporting and granting agencies MUST be more vigilant with
personal information when dealing with credit.

-Reciepts must not print out credit card or debit card account numbers.

-Retail credit card applications must only be handled by managers or
supervisors; I remember myself when I worked retail during high school, part-time 16 year olds would have access to dozens of applications a day.

-Debt collectors must stop collection activities against victims of
identity theft once they have been notified.

-More robust systems of identification, such as a "thumbprint signature" must be used on important transactions, such as cashing large checks.

-Credit cards and reporting agencies must monitor suspicious activity, and immediately report it to the consumer. For example, credit cards should verify address changes by contacting the previous address or phone number on record, and should not allow two changes within thirty days!

I think dealing with this issue is primarily up to YOU and ME. The FBI says identity theft has grown over 300% over the past couple of years, and unless something is done, that figure is going nowhere but up.

Identity theft hurts everybody, not only the person being victimized!

-tcp100
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

RadioShack Afloat on a Sea of Financing
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement