Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5021  
Subject: Re: keeping the ex's name after divorce Date: 1/23/2013 3:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I kept my name both times I got married, not because I was particularly attached to it, though.

I grew up being last name W, with mom, sis and step-dad being last name S, so that was slightly annoying.

When I got married at 18, my first thought was that my last name would now be G, which would mean I was no longer at the END of the alphabet.

But then someone p!ssed me off.

The marriage certificate had not been officially filed yet, so I hadn't changed my name on military records/ID yet. We're talking like the Monday after the wedding.

I went to the base credit union to deposit some money into new hubby's account.

Branch asst manager called me into her office to tell me that I needed to change my name on their records.

Um, no.

1. Mom and grandma have worked in banking for years and years and anyone can make a deposit into any account.

2. This is 1988, not 1888 and I don't HAVE to do anything.

Then I thought about it more, and realized I just gotten my first adult account in my name, got my first CC in my name, bought my second vehicle with my first car loan in my name. And CRAP, I'd have to change it in all those places, plus run a chit in the military to do and and what a freaking PITA.

So I said, "No, not gonna change it."

Hubby1 didn't like it, but what could he do? And, well, didn't last long.

Hubby2 was resigned to being "Mr. W". He has since remarried and she also kept her name. So, obviously, he doesn't care about that.

Don't know what I'll do if I get married again.

Without getting married again, I've considered a couple of things recently, since I have NEVER really liked my maiden name, and I'm not real attached to my father.

One thing I'm considering is changing my name to my great-grandmother's maiden name (as far back as I can trace the female line at the moment).

I'm also considering making a legal change to Ishtar and making up a last name.

Ishtar
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement