UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58837  
Subject: Re: Question for intercst Date: 11/23/2009 1:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I know a lot of people who could not really get much value for the money if they had more. They enjoy the lifestyle they have and would not enjoy spending more for "upgrades" they don't want or need. They have no desire to spend more.

I envy them, but I'm not like that. If I had twice as much money, I would spend more. I could easily enjoy traveling around the world for months at a time. I would enjoy upgraded accommodations and travel. I would probably have a nicer truck for camping and excursions. I might even pay other people to do a lot of home/yard maintenance that I do mostly myself.

I could have worked longer and had enough money to do most of these things, but I chose to work less and enjoy life more with a budget that is very satisfying. I choose not to fly 1st class because the 3.5x to 5x cost difference is fairly significant when you travel as much as I do. In the past year and a half I've been to Israel, Poland, Netherlands, Australia, India, Hong Kong, Rome as well as to Orlando, Honolulu and Washington DC via commercial airlines. Traveling 1st class would have added seriously to my annual expenditures (probably about $20k to $30K). I would rather take 6 to 12 more trips or extend the length of my trips significantly than travel 1st class.

I am only spending at about a 2% to 3% withdrawal rate since retiring, but I expect to be retired for a lot longer than 30 years. And since Bush broke the world, I'm still a little concerned that I might have retired at a particularly bad time historically. My first modest pension kicked in this year and SGSpouse will start getting her pension benefits next year. We will probably increase our spending a little starting next year, but we are likely to invest in more travel, not more luxury in the same amount of travel.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement