UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: beccapooka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14993  
Subject: Re: Lamictal Date: 2/28/2006 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know exactly how that is. I can't count how many times I went off meds or just got inconsistent in taking them for various reasons, including, but not limited to, weight gain, no sleeping, bizarre dreams, and (my favorite) "there's really nothing wrong with me, I'm fine, everyone goes through this. . . "
-----------

Ish,

But at least you've HAD meds to go on and off of. I had Lithium for 2 months 16 years ago, and handful of SSRI's that made things a million times worse, and my beloved Klonopin (mostly as needed through the last 10ish years) and that's it. And the Concerta, but that wasn't for bipolar and is almost certainly responsible for the level my mania got to this summer.

Even treating Drew for bipolar was a hard decision for me. But I did it because he was out of control and some of the 'tricks' I've used through the years were not things a kid could learn to handle.

But treating myself? No way! I didn't want to be fat and sleepy and whatever else the meds would do. But the truth is, by the time I made the appt with the pdoc I was DESPERATE to stop feeling the way I was feeling. Except for the weight gain thing and anti-depressents I was willing to try just about anything. But it took me 15/16 years to get here.

Part of it's a trust issue. I can count on 1 hand the number of mental health professionals I have seen who were any good and most of the rest were so bad it is probably a danger to society that they are seeing patients!

Rebecca
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement