No. of Recommendations: 0
I know SEPs, but not SIMPLEs. When I was self employed I looked at both and decided on the SEP.
Anyone with self employment income can have a SEP.
If subsequently you become eligible for a 401k through your employer, and also have self-employment income, you can STILL contribute to that SEP.
There is a cap on how much you can contribute, but when I had around $100000 annually of self employment income I didn't hit the cap.
You can contribute about 15% of the Schedule C income. As you know, estimating that amount ahead of time can be tricky; you do the best you can and try to not overcontribute. If you undercontribute, you have some time in the next calendar year to bring your amount up to the maximum. If you overcontribute it gets hairy.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.