Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I know that some registration fees are tax deductible

That's not quite right. Only property taxes are deductible, not the registration fee.

In some states, the annual license plate renewal includes both components: registration fees and property taxes. Only the property tax portion is deductible.

but how to find out it for a new car.

You'll have to get information from your state's motor vehicle department to figure this out. If your license includes a property tax component, they should be able to tell you what it is or how to compute it.

All I have is a copy of agreement and I see things like "title tax", "dealer's business license tax", "license fee", "title fee". Do you know is anything deductible.

The "title tax" might be. I doubt if the "dealer's business license tax" or the "license fee" or the "title fee" are property taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.