Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121478  
Subject: Re: Do I really have to pay AMT? Date: 2/28/2005 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I know this is kind of a stupid question, but I just have to ask before I go spending all of this dough...

I used TurboTax and came up with the following numbers:

State Owed: $3174
Federal REFUND: $2317
AMT OWED: $2051

So, my understanding is that if AMT is larger than Federal, I need to pay AMT. Therefore, instead of getting a refund from Federal, I will be paying $2051 AMT in addition to $3174 for state????

Is that correct?

Beats me. But the answer is painfully simple. Look at lines 71 and 74 on Form 1040. If there is an entry on line 71, you are getting a refund. If there is an entry on line 74, you owe addtional tax.

I suspect that you will find an entry of 2317 on line 71. You will also find an entry of 2051 on line 44. In other words, if you weren't subject to AMT, your federal refund would have been $4368.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.