UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: headcat1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308649  
Subject: Re: Asking Realtives for Loans Date: 4/14/2001 8:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I know this isn't exactly the same thing but a few years back, a nephew of mine (age 22, single, with slightly better than minimum wage job)asked me if I would co-sign for a new car loan. I asked all kinds of interesting questions as I have had little association with him. First, it was a sports car, second, he could not insure the car without help (which he assured me that he would get with his Mom's help since she didn't have a car & would be using it too), third, he really did need transportation. After serious consideration, I decided to GIVE him my old "put around town" car (I have a much newer truck that I could use) and delay his NEED for a new car until he could save up more money to get around the co-signer issue. I KNEW my family dynamics well enough to know that he didn't have any money sense (none of us learned anything other than lots of debt & living pay check to pay check). He was grateful & delayed his new car purchase....until he ran the car I gave him into the ground! After hitting my mother up for the co-sign thing & rigging the insurance up under her policy, he proceeded to wreck the car, and lose his job. Let's just say that Mom was PO'ed and I have yet to say "I told you so" because she already knows that this family is full of deadbeats by her past experience. I'm glad that I had the commom sense to add numbers and know that this was not a good thing. I would have no problem loaning money to my mother, my youngest sister (we live in the same town & I know her money habits), my SO, & my best friend, but that's IT! I'm much wiser having gone through the experience of getting my own credit card debts paid down through diligent budgeting & hard work. It's no fun in the beginning but it sure is worth effort. I can bet that I won't be making the same mistake again. If you'd like some budgeting help, email me at headcat@aristotle.net
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement