UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4290  
Subject: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 3:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
That is all.

Bogey
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2064 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 3:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Was it me?

RJ - ever-hopeful

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2065 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 3:57 PM
I know who won. That is all.

Bogey

Do you know what kind of guy he is? How about his diet habits?

Abe

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2066 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
recount! recount! recount!

RJ

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2067 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 4:30 PM
But the cash...er, returns are still being counted.

Twit

Author: swimdad Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2068 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 4:31 PM
Recommendations: 4
Nobody cares.
Obviousman

Author: swimdad Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2069 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 4:31 PM
Crap.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2070 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 10:52 PM
Well, I guess we will wait then.

Bob

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2071 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 11:09 PM
Recommendations: 5
That is all.

Bogey

Cryptic, to say the least.

As a nominee I, of course, hope it is me yet I hope more it is WonderPup who, my estimation, is a poster to make TMF proud. Agreed, there isn't a poster on the nominee list who hasn't in his or her way added yet WonderPup has added more in style and content than any of us.

Each on the nominee list adds to his/her ability and there's that to be considered yet WonderPup has more often than not hit a chord when he writes. He's half my age yet twice my ability in setting forth either a concept or an emotion. His description of living with twin autistic children says more in a few words than I could in many more.

The Feste winner may be another on the list yet WonderPup is my winner.

I will, of course, congratulate whoever wins yet I believe TMF is the winner because it has WonderPup posting.

Yes, I am that arbitrary.

MichaelR

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2072 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 11:09 PM
Good luck and best regards and wishes to each and every nominee.

It ain't who wins. It's how you played the game.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2073 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 11:27 PM
His description of living with twin autistic children says more in a few words than I could in many more.

With all due respect (sincerely), I live with twin autistic children every day - Both of me. ~ ~

Author: WonderPup Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2074 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/18/2005 11:43 PM
Recommendations: 4
The Feste winner may be another on the list yet WonderPup is my winner.

I will, of course, congratulate whoever wins yet I believe TMF is the winner because it has WonderPup posting.

Note to self: Remember to renew membership on my MichaelRead doppel account.

--WP

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2075 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 12:03 AM
Do you know what kind of guy he is? How about his diet habits?

Abe

In my sincere hope, the winner's diet habits will be down-home BBQ and Chili:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21924326

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2076 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 12:09 AM
His description of living with twin autistic children says more in a few words than I could in many more.

With all due respect (sincerely), I live with twin autistic children every day - Both of me. ~ ~
NoIDAtAll

Your TMF interview http://boards.fool.com/ProfileInterview.asp?uid=102920188&referringaddr=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Efool%2Ecom%2FMessage%2Easp%3Fmid%3D21929649 says you once stuttered.

I can cure (by that I mean cure not alleviate) stuttering in four days. I have a 100 percent cure rate. Stuttering is not insurmountable. There is no such cure for autism but what WonderPup has done to slowly, ever slowly, to make the situation ever slightly better and I admire his actions in this. Moreover, I like his ability in describing the steps and how he and Mrs. WonderPup have taken.

Totally OT, do you still stutter?

MichaelR

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2077 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 2:02 AM
I can cure (by that I mean cure not alleviate) stuttering in four days. I have a 100 percent cure rate. Stuttering is not insurmountable. There is no such cure for autism but what WonderPup has done to slowly, ever slowly, to make the situation ever slightly better and I admire his actions in this. Moreover, I like his ability in describing the steps and how he and Mrs. WonderPup have taken.

MichaelR

Thanks, Michael. I don't stutter, any more.

I managed to overcome that, graduate cum laude in the top 1%, scholastically, in the US from the dean's college of the university where I studied directly under PhDs and CPAs and enjoyed rather generous offers from Price Waterhouse and Touche Ross and hold down a job that pays my bills, reasonably adequately... can always be better though, ~ ~

Personally, I think this is worthy of note, as I think your comment and the person you mentioned worthy of it:

Bill cares. While doing some research one late night last spring, my Yahoo IM signalled a page. It was Bill. He alerted me to a message on the Fools Against Depression board from a troubled poster who sounded desperately distraught. Concerned that she may be suicidal, Bill asked if I would join him in cheering her up. We posted responses to her plea, got her up on Yahoo IM, and stayed online with her till dawn, when she assured us she was feeling better. She is now married and an expectant mother. If not for Bill, though, who knows?

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21637134

Respectfully,
Bob

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2078 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 9:15 AM

Yes he does, when he walks...especially on stairs. ;-)

ßillƒ

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2079 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 10:45 AM

Yes he does, when he walks...especially on stairs. ;-)

ßillƒ

Shhhh... I think I had him suckered in, for a moment!! ;[)

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2080 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 5:26 PM

I managed to overcome that, graduate cum laude in the top 1%, scholastically, in the US from the dean's college of the university where I studied directly under PhDs and CPAs and enjoyed rather generous offers from Price Waterhouse and Touche Ross and hold down a job that pays my bills, reasonably adequately... can always be better though, ~ ~

Bob

Obviously the teacher who commented on you stuttering linked it with capability which, equally as obvious, you proved wrong.

The Feste board is really not the place to discuss this yet, since we are waiting I declare this board in the interim an extension of Gwen's Pub and just about anything goes but same species dietary preference.

Stuttering has absolutely nothing to do with mental capacity, social position, weight, height, sibling placement, pharyngeal formation, or a host of other so-called causes touted as once fixed the stuttering stops. The cure for stuttering is relearning how to breathe. Get that evened out and stuttering stops.

The reason a person stutters under stress is because the breathing changes. Tension affects the breathing pattern and there's actually not enough air moving.

There's a little more to it than that yet the biggest impediment with stuttering is not the stuttering itself but the stigma some put on the person stuttering. It takes more time to get this solved than the actual practice of relearning how to breathe. That part is what I can do – I am not a speech therapist – in the process.

As for stairs, you know what I hate? Thinking the step you're on is the last and then stepping down two risers and thumping on the landing. Done that more times than I should.

MichaelR

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2081 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 6:10 PM
As for stairs, you know what I hate? Thinking the step you're on is the last and then stepping down two risers and thumping on the landing. Done that more times than I should.

~~~~~~~~~

MR,

that Aussie Merlot, rot gut, will do that to you every time. ;o)

KEZ

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2082 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 8:55 PM
Obviously the teacher who commented on you stuttering linked it with capability which, equally as obvious, you proved wrong.

To my mind he did. His frustration and impatience he voiced during my stammering through a mandated public presentation before a classroom of my grade school peers didn't help the problem with which I was struggling.

Stuttering has absolutely nothing to do with mental capacity, social position, weight, height, sibling placement, pharyngeal formation, or a host of other so-called causes touted as once fixed the stuttering stops. The cure for stuttering is relearning how to breathe. Get that evened out and stuttering stops.

Interesting - I never linked stuttering directly to breathing. I linked it directly to a nervous self-conscious feeling of insecure inadequacy. In words similar to those of FDR, my Dad use to, encouragingly, call it fearing fear. But I can see how that can lead to shortness of breath as the direct causal factor. My success in overcoming the problem I had with it was a matter of learning to relax in a realization that every body in this world puts his pants on, one leg at a time - same as me. It took me a while. Though I probably would have overcome the problem far more expediently had I known and realized the direct cause was shortness of breath, once I got past fearing fear and came to realize that the only limitations we face in life are those we place on our own mind, I was far more in control of my destiny - In short, one couldn't stop me, for long, with anything short of dropping a brick wall on my head, or rationally explaining to me the reasoning behind your thoughts on an equal plain I could understand. Life itself has been more of a downhill affair from there, more a matter of choice between do I want to, or do I choose not to, rather than can I, or I "can't".

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2083 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 9:41 PM
The reason a person stutters under stress is because the breathing changes. Tension affects the breathing pattern and there's actually not enough air moving.

There's a little more to it than that yet the biggest impediment with stuttering is not the stuttering itself but the stigma some put on the person stuttering. It takes more time to get this solved than the actual practice of relearning how to breathe. That part is what I can do – I am not a speech therapist – in the process.

I can see where you have excellent potential in that, Michael, but I am curious as in the process how you would/could cure stuttering within 4 days?...

Bob <- realizing I wasted a LOT more days on the matter than I should have, or needed to.

Yeah, well... Try getting tired of chasing a very attractive sexualtary around a desk, stepping onto the desktop, to gain a needed advantage, subsequently disembarking from the desktop, using a chair as a step stool, miss-calculating the location of the seat portion thereof and stepping instead on the chair-back, tumbling to the floor in the process. ~ ~

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2084 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 9:56 PM
Recommendations: 3

That's amazing. I had intermittent stuttering issue for years and it went away on its own. Not coincidently I guess, I am a bowler and at one point I realized I would hold my breath when I had a big shot to attempt. I taught/forced myself to breath until it became second nature.

I hadn't really noticed that the stuttering had gone away since it was so rare anyway but it has been about the same amount of time since my last episode.

Neat.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2085 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 9:59 PM
Interesting - I never linked stuttering directly to breathing. I linked it directly to a nervous self-conscious feeling of insecure inadequacy. In words similar to those of FDR, my Dad use to, encouragingly, call it fearing fear.

Bob

You solved two problems: the stuttering itself, and the psychological affect of having stuttered. Hat's off to you since the latter is harder than the former.

There's been many systems to stop stuttering ever since Demosthenes put pebbles in his mouth and removed then one by one.

Once it was thought that if you brought the stutter's attention to a particular segment of stuttering then the person would get it, yet my research in this has a feedback approaching outright hostility, years after, by the corrected one. Your teacher may have thought, in all good conscience but not realizing the psychological effects, wanted you corrected so you'd get it. It didn't work because, frankly, when done in public it is humiliating. And, as frank, it doesn't work that well in private.

There's been some slight success with biofeedback yet it takes a long time as does 'delayed hearing' (using earphones and a time-delay hearing to the spoken word). Mel Tillis, the country and western singer, tried this delay system and had partial success. But Mel doesn't stutter at all when he's singing and the answer is because, when he sings, he's in far better control of his breathing. Almost all those who stutter don't when they sing.

I think the psychological side of stuttering is hard to overcome because sometimes the person links stuttering with, as you put it, inadequacy. That feeling can hang around for years as a byproduct. As I said, solving stuttering is two problems to be solved.

MichaelR

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2086 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 10:25 PM
I can see where you have excellent potential in that, Michael, but I am curious as in the process how you would/could cure stuttering within 4 days?...

Bob <- realizing I wasted a LOT more days on the matter than I should have, or needed to.

Yeah, well... Try getting tired of chasing a very attractive sexualtary around a desk, stepping onto the desktop, to gain a needed advantage, subsequently disembarking from the desktop, using a chair as a step stool, miss-calculating the location of the seat portion thereof and stepping instead on the chair-back, tumbling to the floor in the process. ~ ~

Sounds like a real fun office. You hiring?

The process takes four days: two to solve the stuttering and two to solve the psychological/societal beliefs the person has.

Simply, the first stage is to have the person blow the words out of his mouth. What I want is air movement holus bolus. It's amazing how many words a lungful can hold yet I say use the whole breath for only a few words; it doesn't matter how it sounds because it's all huffy but its practice.

I'd like to say it gets into deep stuff but that's just about it. Sure, I slow the word pacing and ask some to speak in a lower register but that's also done blowing the words out. I try to teach the person that he/she is in control of how he/she speaks and this is learning control.

Thing is anyone can teach this. I think I have the edge on teaching the second part because I have 30 years experience in it yet once it's settled that this is a breathing problem and nothing else, even that side is easy: stuttering is stuttering and not caused by any defect, inability, incapacity or incapability. Just ain't so.

One funny thing. I tell the person that some of his/her friends may not realize he or she isn't stuttering anymore and to hold that inside as a giggle. And that's happened.

Nonetheless, chasing sexitaries across the office is far better than stumbling on stairs.

MichaelR

Are we there yet, Bogey?

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2087 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 10:39 PM
That's amazing. I had intermittent stuttering issue for years and it went away on its own. Not coincidently I guess, I am a bowler and at one point I realized I would hold my breath when I had a big shot to attempt. I taught/forced myself to breath until it became second nature.

I hadn't really noticed that the stuttering had gone away since it was so rare anyway but it has been about the same amount of time since my last episode.

Neat.

Patchdodd

Neat is right. Want to get technical? Breathing is all diaphragm and you trained your to work at the pace that removed the tension. Air flowed more easily and you were able to get the spare. Since the diaphragm also controls the air movement in speaking you altered that.

Bet you a dollar to a donut you'll never stutter again even rarely.

Okay, we've covered this fairly well and my next suggestion for discussion, waiting as we are for Twitty to find that bag of votes not previously counted, is Should women be allowed to drink beer or be confined to frou-frou drinks?

MichaelR

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2088 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 11:21 PM
Should women be allowed to drink beer or be confined to frou-frou drinks?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What is a frou-frou Drink?

If it's non-alcoholic, I know of a few (aquaintances only) Aussie Women that should nudge a few of those instead of bending the elbow with copious quantaties of Fosters & Tooheys Draft.

I swear, these gals should have hairs on their chest. Scarey!

KEZ

Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2089 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/19/2005 11:52 PM
I swear, these gals should have hairs on their chest. Scarey!</i?

You ain't seen nothing until you've snorted Peppermint Snapps on the bar through a drinking straw . . . not saying i know anything about this practice . . .

Ah . . . Nederland, circa 1970's.

elizabeth

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2090 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 12:03 AM
You solved two problems: the stuttering itself, and the psychological affect of having stuttered. Hat's off to you since the latter is harder than the former.

I suppose it's iffy, whether one puts the latter behind them, realizing that I'm human, I make mistakes, life is short and I will focus on my future and what I think is important, to me, in that respect, and leave behind, out of my luggage I may carry forward on my journey through my life. Should another wish to recall, to my recollection, an error I made in my journey along my life's way, I will be more than happy and, usually, with little hesitance, inform the other of the mote in their eye, merely in focusing on the mite that I left behind, in my life's journey...

Once it was thought that if you brought the stutter's attention to a particular segment of stuttering then the person would get it, yet my research in this has a feedback approaching outright hostility, years after, by the corrected one. Your teacher may have thought, in all good conscience but not realizing the psychological effects, wanted you corrected so you'd get it. It didn't work because, frankly, when done in public it is humiliating. And, as frank, it doesn't work that well in private.

In retrospect, I don't think that the teacher was trying a cure of the problem with which I struggled, by way of a method. I think he just lost his patience - He was human, too, perhaps frustrated in his class not being all it could be (with really sharp people), perhaps knowing/expecting better from me, having also taught my 2-year older sister who aced everything she attempted throughout grade school and high school and, pretty much, thereafter, for and of which I'm proud, and thankful - The teacher is now long since deceased. I learned a great deal from him, in math (and the related field of logic) that has served me very well. I owe him a great deal, and cannot and don't fault his human mistake of frustration, except that he was wrong, even though human in doing so...

You are correct - Such mistakes do tend to linger in ones memory for a very long time, and do tend to detract from even very beneficial things one may contribute... Remind me to remember that. ;-)

Very respectfully,
Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2091 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 1:06 AM
Sounds like a real fun office. You hiring?

# 1 - You're not my type. (I'm, pretty sure, I'm not yours, either. ;-)

# 2 - I no longer own "the office"... OK, I, kindof, (help) control its course, but that's not, exactly, the same thing - I make and keep more in managing, monetarily, than I did in owning, but I enjoy less leeway in decision making, unless and to the extent that it makes sense and contributes to the bottom line - kindof sucks, but probably in my best, so called, long-term interest. ~ ~

# 3 - SexiTeri has grown up and, to a degree, out, is married to my best personal friend's brother and is, devoutfully, doing a very respectful job raising a family of 3 very promising rugrats.

From a pic on Bill Ford's site, picture, if you will, or can, as the case may be ~ ~ Terri, 20 years younger, around 75 pounds lighter, give or take, and more fuller hair (and stuff) ~ ~

http://www.themotleyfools.com/NoIdAtAll.php

Bob

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2092 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 2:22 AM
<i.You ain't seen nothing until you've snorted Peppermint Snapps on the bar through a drinking straw . . . not saying i know anything about this practice . . .

Ah . . . Nederland, circa 1970's.

As I recall, we would duck out of school during the morning break, dash down the block to the local kneipe, knock back a liter of Düssel Alt with a shot glass of Schnapps floating in it, then dash back to school, just in time für die Stunde der Mathematik. Never tried it through the nose, though. Think it would have helped my grades in calculus?

Ah . . . Düsseldorf, 1964-65.

Loren

(Und was ist los mit dieser ach-du-lieber dreimal verdammte Feste-wahl, eh Bogey?)

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2093 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 2:34 AM
You are correct - Such mistakes do tend to linger in ones memory for a very long time, and do tend to detract from even very beneficial things one may contribute... Remind me to remember that. ;-)

Very respectfully,

Bob

Your mistakes, an other's, or your perception of an event? George Gobel said, “Do you ever feel the world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?” Or do you celebrate the differences that you are and others are. Simply put: there's always someone who's better than you and some worse: depression is believing those worse are fewer than those better when, in fact, it doesn't matter.

I am very good at some things, other not. I have absolutely no arithmetic ability, none whatsoever. There are grade three kids who excel past me and I don't exaggerate. I stumble over numbers. Yet as a consultant in finding problems I believe, honestly, that I am one of the best. I have clients in 22 countries that pay me a salty fee to get my take on a true cause. That's what I do best.

Yet my car mechanic is as good as I in his field. Yet I am not lesser because he is. He is not lesser because I am good in my field. You ability in finance is far beyond mine yet I celebrate your ability because I can benefit from it as you can mine. We don't compete we compliment.

There's a wall painted white and in one corner a dark fingerprint. The eye is drawn to that smudge. The wall is not perfect. Yet this wall with it's smudge is different than all other walls and is remembered for the differences. I am not perfect yet it is my imperfections that make me who I am and remembered as I am. Not that my imperfections make me more human but more understandable.

Yet the remainder of the wall is pure white. That's the wholeness of it. The smudge does not take from that, it cannot.

Abbu Hassan, in his 20's, farted in the mosque and left the country in deep embarrassment. Twenty year later he returned and met a young girl. He asked, “How old are you?” She said, “I was born two years after Abbu Hassan farted.”

Don't you thank all that is above that our life's mistakes aren't that recorded?

MichaelR

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2094 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 2:52 AM
I swear, these gals should have hairs on their chest. Scary!

KEZ

Dear heart, there are two classes of drinks in this world: men's and women's with men's being stuff such as Kentucky Sippin' Whisky and stuff aged in casks set down when grandpa was a kid, and women's drinks best described as chardonnay with a twist.

It's not that real men don't eat quiche but that they can't think of a booze that goes with it; women can: chardonnay with a twist. In fact, as far as most women are concerned all food is complimented by chardonnay with a twist.

A man's steak: bourbon or a nice single malt or a peppered vodka a la Russe. A women's steak: chardonnay with a twist. Take a lady out for supper and you don't have to ask what she wants, order a chardonnay with a twist and she's transported into her heaven.

Women don't grow hair on their chests and, if confronted with one that would, will opt for the chardonnay with a twist that puts down on their calves to be shaved later. Men like booze that out hair on their chests because some pray for it; women don't.

I have to go. Supper's waiting. I will have a nice beer with my meal; Elly will have a chardonnay with a twist. Tonight we're stereotypes as it should be.

MichaelR

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2095 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 3:51 AM
Dear heart, there are two classes of drinks in this world: men's and women's with men's being stuff such as Kentucky Sippin' Whisky and stuff aged in casks set down when grandpa was a kid, and women's drinks best described as chardonnay with a twist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are TOoOoOOoooo polite MR! or, you have been livin' under a rock :o)

Oh! thats right, you were referring to LADIES & GENTLEMEN.

Sad but true, we are a dying breed.

Lady KEZ

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2096 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 10:42 AM
Your mistakes, an other's, or your perception of an event?

My mistakes - I'm willing and wish to learn.
Other's - If they are not obvious to me and I'm being, in whole or in part, misguided.
your perception of an event - See above.

I am very good at some things, other not. I have absolutely no arithmetic ability, none whatsoever. There are grade three kids who excel past me and I don't exaggerate. I stumble over numbers. Yet as a consultant in finding problems I believe, honestly, that I am one of the best. I have clients in 22 countries that pay me a salty fee to get my take on a true cause. That's what I do best.

Unless you suffer from unsuccessfully retrained or untreated dyslexia, or some such, arithmetic is a learned discipline, not an ability. I was fortunate, I'm sure, in learning how to study math in the locker room following one basketball practice session in seventh grade in grade school when a peer 1 year my senior bristled before those of us 1 year his junior with the secret for learning algebra, a subject to which we would be initially exposed the following year. He assured us that algebra was not, at all, difficult if you got on it, on day 1, and learned the formulas, each as they were presented, sequentially, each and every day. Indeed algebra would prove a snap to learn, as he had assured us, and, as it turned out, I found every math course I ever took similar in that respect, including geometry, trigonometry, advanced algebra with complex numbers and statistics. The process is very similar to what you (most likely) do when you diagnose the true cause of a problem.

Otherwise, your lack of ability, in this, or most other practical matters, is more a matter of lack of affinity - You, pretty much, just don't like it and choose not to embrace the necessary learning process, as I, pretty much, don't particularly care for reading literature and didn't major in English, though I could have and there was this unbelievably young really great looking former nun, former airline stewardess under which I studied Literary Masterpieces of Antiquity and bent my attitude sufficiently to ace her class, which wasn't really a major challenge as she mostly hit on the Old Testament of the Bible as a literary masterpiece, and I had already been through it, as a religion, at least 8 times through a hard-headed German Lutheran grade school curriculum... But, I'm tellin' ya', all that begattin' in Leviticus sure took on a different perspective under her tutelage - Great legs!! ~ ~

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2097 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 3:29 PM
Otherwise, your lack of ability, in this, or most other practical matters, is more a matter of lack of affinity.

Bob

There's a place in my mind that's a shiny ball that nothing adheres to. Not mathematics but simple arithmetic. Bounced off were the basics of multiplication tables, addition, division, and other stuff used in the simple computing of numbers. In this aspect I admit to being a simpleton. I use a pencil and paper – and even then have another check my numbers – for what many people can do without thinking.

On the other hand I don't forget jokes. I have never ever said I don't remember jokes because I have them in easy mental access. At one seminar I held we got the a section on memory and I said to the almost 200 people there, each tell me a joke and I will tell one similar to it and, if I couldn't, the person would get a free weekend. No one got a free weekend.

So it's not my memory that's at fault and, sure, I can remember the times tables yet using them is another matter.

Affinity presumes a cognition. You're cognizant of how math relates to math and how formula relates to solving the formula. Some part of me doesn't have that ability. When I was an 11 year-kid and in Scouts there was Kim's Game. A tray with objects on it was presented and you memorized them. The tray came covered with a sheet that was taken off and replaced after one minute. I not only remembered this week's tray but all the previous weeks' trays and, 55 years later, I can give all those tray contents.

But numbers? No joy. I remember telephone numbers after one use but, as I said, the manipulating of numbers just isn't there. I sure do admire those who can.

Words, language, how words affect, what words are real and which aren't, this I know. I truly like the English language because it is a delicious tool I find much happiness in (I could have written 'in which I find happiness' but grammar, to me, is to be used not be used by).

Writing is like an old familiar shirt; math is a new one I can't get the plastic off.

MichaelR

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2098 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/20/2005 4:03 PM
Interesting - Well, you stick with the jokes then. I find them hillarious and they make me laugh!!

Best regards,
Bob

Author: mrseabreeze Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2115 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/26/2005 5:30 PM
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21959371
When will the winner be announced?

TMFTwitty,

Are you able to reply to my above post. I am asking because I have a sincere interest in knowing. Thanks.

Author: Kez7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2120 of 4290
Subject: Re: I know who won Date: 1/26/2005 11:41 PM
The time has come HQ!

Ya better not wait until fools day (04/01/2005) cuz, I can see some rotten tomatoes bein' flung in your direction.

You know who won?

Well then, heck!, let us know.

What's your game?

KEZ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement