No. of Recommendations: 4
I liked what Brooklyn48 said:

"My husband and I much prefer living in New England after having moved from New York. The snow here was worse than Siberia but we managed quite well anyway. Florida has never appealed to us."

We always lived in Connecticut but came to love Vermont, so we chose to buy a home and retire here. We have no regrets. We have a nice place (which we expanded and updated) on several acres, on a ridge, with views, enough lawn plus a LOT of trees, in a small community a few miles from a bigger city with a hospital (important, we figured). Our home also has most everything we need on the one floor, so aging troubles will be minimized. (Other rooms and bath are on another floor when guests come.)

One of our children lives maybe an hour away and we see her and her husband and kids in church, plus some other times. Other kids and families live farther away.

Bottom line: It all depends on what means the most to you! For us, the peace and quiet, the wind whispering in the trees, the lovely countryside, and new friends we've made here provide us with what we wanted in retirement. We don't go to shows or movies much, don't smoke or drink, and just wanted serenity for the most part.

Would Vermont suit everyone? We hope not, to be honest! But it suits us fine. Do whatever feels good for you!

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement