No. of Recommendations: 0
I live about 4 or 5 blocks from the south bank of the Salt River. Across it, the north side of the river is Reservation and open desert with no structures or development. Only the cushion of a few blocks of residential neighborhood keeps a lot of wild life away. (I should point out that no water flows in the Salt about 95% of the time. Animals can walk across the dry river bed.) It is very rare that I see coyotes in my neighborhood - maybe a handful of times in the past 16 years. The number of free roaming cats in the neighborhood is an indication that they don't get here very often.

Although the few blocks of residential neighborhood shields me from coyotes and rattlesnakes, it doesn't really help keep the scorpions or roof rats away. With flood irrigation and surrounded by citrus groves, I am in perpetual battle to kill off the crickets (scorpion food), scorpions, and other, less offensive bugs. Also, I must constantly be baiting roof rat traps. Honestly, I'd rather deal with coyotes.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement