UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883887  
Subject: Re: Rules For Libraries Date: 1/31/2013 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I live in Brooklyn, NY. I am actually afraid to go into my library.
Last year two homeless men got into a fight and one stabbed the other.
The homeless are allowed in the library and there are so many of them in cold weather. I feel for them but they take up most of the comfortable seating and bring all their stuff with them.
Having lived in the suburbs most of my life this was a big change for me. Most people order their books online and pop into the library just to pick them up.
The children's room is so noisy you can't hear yourself think.
It is filled with nannies and caregivers and occasionally a parent. Most talking on their own cell phones while the little ones scream and run around with no supervision.
So, Seattle, you want to trade places?

It really is surprising--Brooklyn Heights is very nice. Lest people think all of NYC is like this, my daughter lives in Harlem, and when I babysat for my grandson,I took him to the nearest library every week once he could sit up. Nothing ever seemed amiss to me. In fact, despite pretty heavy usage, it was at least as quiet as any suburban library I've used, If anyone was homeless, I couldn't tell. Nobody smelled bad, and quite a few adults were using the library in the daytime, many on computers like SP (no home computers, I presume).

At story hour, about 2/3 of the children were accompanied by nannies, babysitters and my fellow grandmas and the rest by Moms and a Dad or two. Wealthier families were more likely to have a SAHM to take the kids story hour. I know it may be counter to some folks expectations of Harlem, but while most people who live there are poor, there are a lot of working poor.

Also during the 18 months I lived in Harlem, there didn't seem to be proportionately any more sick or annoying people on the subway than I remember running into at work in the software business. I've been much more annoyed by groups of teenagers at suburban malls.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement