Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122569  
Subject: Re: Residency question Date: 8/7/2009 7:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I lived in New York from January through March 2008, where I worked in finance. I moved there originally in August 2007. I became disabled and had to move back home to Greensboro in April, where my parents live. I started receiving Social Security in November while living in Greensboro.

For 2008, you were a part-year New York resident and part-year North Carolina resident.

For 2007, you were a part-year New York resident and part-year somewhere else (presumably North Carolina) resident.

Presumably for 2009 you will be a full-year North Carolina resident, but 2009 isn't a closed book yet.

For 2008 and 2007, you should have filed NY form IT-203. There's a calculation on it for allocating numbers between NY and the other state or states you lived in; if all your income was in NY, it will produce a similar result to being a full year resident. (There are some credits that part-year residents aren't eligible for, and there may be some other differences that I'm not familiar with.)

Finally, I received Social Security in November and December while I was living in North Carolina, reported on a SSA-1099. This was the only income I received while in North Carolina. Do I have to file separate NC income taxes? I'm not sure if Social Security is taxable at the state level.

Social Security is not taxed by New York. It will appear on your New York return as a number from your federal return, then get subtracted out.

I'll have to defer to someone with specific North Carolina knowledge on the filing requirements there.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Markel Corp.

Markel's Silver Year
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.