Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55931  
Subject: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 12:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I can eat it plain.

I can eat it on my eggs.

I can eat it rolled up in a Chinese pancake with a touch of meat, some veggies and Chinese chili sauce.

I can eat it in Thai food.

I can eat it in Mexican food.

I can eat it in my salads.

I love it in my salsa!

I must have it. Cilantro!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45742 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 6:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You forgot to sign that...

... by TeraGeisel

OleDoc 8^)

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45743 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 6:49 PM
Recommendations: 2
I must have it. Cilantro!

Perhaps you can have a website entitled ilovecilantro.com.

I'd be willing to let you have all the cilantro I don't eat.

Christina

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45745 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 8:14 PM
RE: Christina: "I'd be willing to let you have all the cilantro I don't eat"

Same here.

SB (one of those to whom it tastes like soap)

Author: bookie71 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45746 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 8:30 PM
Recommendations: 4
the other view
http://ihatecilantro.com/

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45747 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 8:47 PM
Recommendations: 23
You don't get it.

Anytime someone posts a recipe here that contains the word "cilantro", the cilantro haters come out of the woodwork like roaches.

"It tastes like soap"
"How can anyone eat that?"
"Gross! Cilantro!"

How about I search through every recipe on here and find the ingredients I don't care for and describe them in less-than-pleasant terms?

Seriously.

What is it about you cilantro-haters that compels you to inform everyone and anyone that'll listen (and even some that don't) that cilantro tastes like soap to you?

And further, what makes you think that anyone cares?

Here's a hint--- If you don't like cilantro, don't use it. If you see it in a recipe, omit it. Substitute parsley if you want. Or here's another idea: DON'T MAKE THE RECIPE!

You do not have to reply "I hate cilantro" to every recipe that someone posts here that has cilantro as an ingredient.

It is boorish, puerile and crude.

Grow up!

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45748 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/2/2007 9:16 PM
Recommendations: 20
RE: TG: "You do not have to reply "I hate cilantro" to every recipe that someone posts here that has cilantro as an ingredient."

Um ... begging your pardon, but you didn't post a recipe with cilantro and as an ingredient, nor discussing the historical or psysiological aspects of the plant.

It was more like a simple song of praise for the herb. (In fact, it reminded me of Pooh's "Isn't It Funny How a Bear Likes Honey".)

As such, I believe light-hearted posts speaking unfavorably of cilantro were quite appropriate?

SB (In fact, you could be accused of "Cilantro Hater Baiting"!)

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45751 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/3/2007 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 5
TeraGram:

What is it about you cilantro-haters that compels you to inform everyone and anyone that'll listen (and even some that don't) that cilantro tastes like soap to you?

Excuse me, but YOU initiated this whole thread entitled "I love Cilantro"! Exactly what kind of responses did you want or expect to see?

And further, what makes you think that anyone cares?

In all honesty, one could say the same about your whole topic -- right? I mean, really?

Some like cilantro and some don't. I'm with those who don't like it. It's a free country, so enjoy it on your food! No problem.

Vermonter

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45752 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/3/2007 12:44 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yay. Another clueless troll heard from.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45753 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/3/2007 1:26 PM
Have you tried it in soup? It's fantastic in chicken soup.

Frydaze1
P.S. I gotta agree, if you start a post saying only that you love it, you should expect responses with an opposing opinion.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45754 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/3/2007 1:36 PM

Agree!

P.S. I gotta agree, if you start a post saying only that you love it, you should expect responses with an opposing opinion.

Again, the point of this thread is laudation of Cilantro. The cilantro haters feel the need to tell everyone ALL THE DAMNED TIME that they hate Cilantro.

Try it.

Post a recipe containing cilantro. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that within five replies someone will whine how cilantro tastes like soap to them.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45813 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/5/2007 10:16 PM
(one of those to whom it tastes like soap)

When I was a kid, I usually only came across cilantro in salsa.

I didn't like it because I thought it tasted like soap.

As an adult, I developed a taste for it, and now I really like it.

I still think it tastes vaguely like soap, but it's good soap!

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45814 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/5/2007 10:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
Our stories are similar.

I don't taste the soap any more but then again, the amount of cilantro that runs through this house is probably better measured in bales rather than bunches. ;)

I make Thai food regularly.

We live in California... not making Mexican food at least a few times a month is a felony, I think.

It is also great in certain Chinese dishes, which I love to cook.

And then there's times when I catch my kid with a handful of it, sitting on her chair, munching down as she watches TV or plays on the computer. She eats it like some kids might it celery, nibbling up the stem and finally poking the leaves into her mouth with a little bitty index finger.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45815 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/6/2007 4:12 AM
Happy Fooliversary, Maggie!!

I bought a large bunch of cilantro on sale for $0.25 last night! Love it! My sincerest thanks to all of you who hate cilantro! It does seem to keep the price down!!!

OleDoc

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45819 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/6/2007 1:21 PM
Happy Fooliversary, Maggie!!

Ahhh yeah. Those danged balloons! Freakin' give-away, I swear. They better be mylar. HRH is allergic to latex, donchyano!

;)

I bought a large bunch of cilantro on sale for $0.25 last night! Love it! My sincerest thanks to all of you who hate cilantro! It does seem to keep the price down!!!

That's a great price! It is cilantro season. I'm about to throw a large handful of seeds into the small patch of dirt near my door that the homeowners' association gardeners seem to have ignored. I may very well get a ticket for "non-permitted cultivation" (you have no idea how anal they are!) but I DON'T CARE! HAHAHAHA

oh sorry.

- T.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45823 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/6/2007 2:58 PM
It is cilantro season.

Not in Loosiana it ain't, no! Day charged me $0.79 fur a small bunch at da local Super Wal-Mart. ;-(

I gots lots & lots of tomatoes and chilies in the garden long with green (and red) onions fur salsa but da cilantro and parsley done bolted and went to seed. Won't be able to grow more until it cools off in the late Fall, me.

C.J.V. - cilantro lover, me

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45839 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/7/2007 4:03 PM

I've also had it in tomato soup at a local Indian restaurant. Delish.

~~ Alison

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45840 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/7/2007 10:47 PM
I also like it in a salad with a vinegar and oil dressing and some cucumbers.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45842 of 55931
Subject: Re: I love Cilantro! Date: 6/8/2007 9:18 AM
I tried it last night in an old family (not our family but an old one) recipe from New Mexico called “Corn Squash and Green Chilies”. The garden is producing loads of tomatoes and cucumbers along with a few green chilies and yellow squash now.

The original recipe/method is to cut up a medium-large onion into a 1/2-inch or 3/8-inch dice and sweat in some fat (da Indians use lard but I use olive oil) until mostly soft in a pot. Cut the squash into about a 1-inch or 3/4-inch dice and add to the pot, cover. Peel & remove seeds/stems from green chilies, cut into 1-inch or 3/4-inch dice and add to the pot. When the squash starts to throw off some liquid, press & add some garlic and oregano. Add some corn (I hada use a small can as I didn't like the looks of da fresh at da market), salt & pepper and recover. At dat point I cut up some cilantro, leaves and stems fairly fine (maybe a tablespoon or a little more) and added dat. When da corn was hot and da squash was soft, I served it. I sometimes put slices of Jack cheese on top before serving but I didn't have any open last night so I hada pass on it. I'll cook that again soon. ;-)

C.J.V. - still gots 7 or 6 blistered chilies in da fridge to use up, me

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement