UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 134228  
Subject: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 1:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/09/msnbc-why-cant-team-ob...

Chuck Todd appeared on MSNBC’s Morning Joe earlier today to discuss Team Obama strategy — and perhaps staffing — in the wake of their debate debacle. Six days later, not only is the Barack Obama campaign still talking about the debate, they’ve released an ad about perhaps the least important issue mentioned in it … Big Bird. Instead of changing the subject, they’re continuing to extend the damage

This is great. Please gimme more. When your opponent is committing suicide, don't stop them.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107119 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 2:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Chuck Todd appeared on MSNBC’s Morning Joe earlier today to discuss Team Obama strategy — and perhaps staffing — in the wake of their debate debacle. Six days later, not only is the Barack Obama campaign still talking about the debate, they’ve released an ad about perhaps the least important issue mentioned in it … Big Bird. Instead of changing the subject, they’re continuing to extend the damage

This is great. Please gimme more. When your opponent is committing suicide, don't stop them.

You've got to look at everything in the context of the larger campaign strategies. These have been revealed long ago and just about every movement is based on executing those larger strategies. There is no going back now. 0bama's strategy has always been a turn-out-the-base strategy. Ever since 2000, this has been the prevailing wisdom for Presidential campaigns. So 0bama was on firm footing going for this, but he also kind of needed to because his performance in office has been so terrible. His campaign ads have been negative, dishonest attacks (largely effective in suppressing Romney's appeal, but highly vulnerable to being exposed under the right conditions, like, say, a live debate viewed by 70 million people). His convention was chock full of raw red partisan meat. 0bama absolutely needs to churn out the low-information liberal, who is inclined to believe that Republicans are evil incarnate, and he will continue to stoke that. He also requires a level of complete economic illiteracy that matches his own, in order for someone to believe, for example, that Big Bird, Sesame Street, Dora the Explorer, and any other number of cash cow consumer brands only exist today because they are propped up by taxpayer public funding.

Romney's strategy, for better or for worse, has been to assume his base is so rabidly anti-0bama that they will vote for him no matter what, and go after the moderates/independents who voted for 0bama last time but aren't dumb enough to think he was even halfway decent.

What I find interesting about these strategies is that they are not even mutually exclusive. This is not to say that 0bama has completely forsaken the independent voter, but for the most part, he is focusing on whipping up the base, while Romney has been focusing on peeling off the independents. This is not a zero sum game, like the old school "move to the center" campaigns. If they both succeed in their quest, who will win? You really can't say. In many recent polls, Romney has been decisively winning the independent vote, yet 0bama is winning overall because of the projected Democrat turnout. While I think those polls have overstated likely Democrat turnout, it still could be enough.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107124 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
You've got to look at everything in the context of the larger campaign strategies. These have been revealed long ago and just about every movement is based on executing those larger strategies. There is no going back now. 0bama's strategy has always been a turn-out-the-base strategy

I understand what you are saying, but it appears as if the narrative is hardening against Obama. How Big Bird reverses the slide is not clear. Team Obama is apparently meeting on how to shake up the campaign. Sacking your generals a month before the election is not a sign of strength or confidence.

The below link explains far better than I can.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/obama-cu...

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107129 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 2:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think it's a brilliant strategy on Team Obama's part to use Big Bird---afterall, neither the intellect nor the education level of his voting base extends much beyond Sesame Street.....

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107131 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 2:57 PM
Recommendations: 3
wolverine307: I understand what you are saying, but it appears as if the narrative is hardening against Obama. How Big Bird reverses the slide is not clear. Team Obama is apparently meeting on how to shake up the campaign. Sacking your generals a month before the election is not a sign of strength or confidence.

Agreed. The Big Bird thing does look like flailing around to try anything. But they aren't trying to convince rational, intelligent people. They are trying to provide a talking point for their base (look how mean that evil Romney is, he wants to kill off Big Bird so he can give tax cuts to the rich!) so they can use them to motivate the low-information ignorants to show up for 0bama, too.

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107139 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 4:31 PM
Why should cutting Big Bird be exempt from spending cuts? If you can't cut Big Bird, what can you cut?

If Sesame Street wants to stay on the air, let it earn its own survival as all other entertainment shows do:
by ratings and sponsorship.

~aj

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107140 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 4:38 PM
Anyone who doubts the latest insult to intelligence is exploitation of the uneducated by the Dems need go no further than the U.S. Census Bureau statistics.

Of those party-affiliated voters with a 'less than high school' education level, 72% were Democrats, 28% Republicans in 2008:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0404.p...

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107141 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 4:43 PM
Why should cutting Big Bird be exempt from spending cuts? If you can't cut Big Bird, what can you cut?

If you can't stop *subsidizing* one of the biggest and steadiest profit-makers on TV, what spending can you cut?

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107142 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 4:44 PM
TMBFAverageJoe: Why should cutting Big Bird be exempt from spending cuts? If you can't cut Big Bird, what can you cut?

If Sesame Street wants to stay on the air, let it earn its own survival as all other entertainment shows do:
by ratings and sponsorship.

Sesame Street could earn its place on air ten times over without even trying. So could Dora, Elmo, Arthur, Curious George, etc. (can you tell I am in the process of raising 4 kids 10 and under?). That's why none of them would go anywhere. But instead they subsidize the other crap on PBS, plus provide a nice strawman to keep the taxpayer money flowing.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107143 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/9/2012 4:47 PM
can you tell I am in the process of raising 4 kids 10 and under?

Sweet Jesus!!! I don't know how I survived one!

Author: rbednarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107175 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/10/2012 1:05 AM
Recommendations: 0
" 0bama absolutely needs to churn out the low-information liberal, who is inclined to believe that Republicans are evil incarnate, and he will continue to stoke that."

Redundancy alert!

Author: iamski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107250 of 134228
Subject: Re: I love it!!!! Date: 10/11/2012 7:45 AM
Recommendations: 0
Of those party-affiliated voters with a 'less than high school' education level, 72% were Democrats

Union workers and assorted other moochers???

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement