Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I make a contribution of $2000 to my Roth for tax year 2000 in Jan of 2000. I have an unexpectedly good year, and exceed the income limit, rendering all of this contribution an excess contribution. I want to avoid the penalty by withdrawing it before April 16, 2001.

There's a formula prescribed in the Regulations. I'd try to explain it, but it's probably easier to understand in the original cuneiform writing, and I don't have those fonts available.

With any kind of luck your custodian will do this calculation for you. Ask them. If all else fails, come back and we'll take a stab at it.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.