No. of Recommendations: 0
I may be wrong, as it isn't my field, but I was under the impression that there was no Masters degree in chemistry. That you had to go from Bachelors to PhD (that's the way MIL did it, and also a friend who graduated from our university several years ago and got his PhD this past December).

That is very dependent on the school. I have known people with MS in Chemistry both terminal & on the way to a PhD. This also applies to other disciplines -- for example some top schools don't used to award MS in Physics en route to a PhD; that has been changing as more people go to grad school with industry intentions rather than mainly academic ones.

Back to the OP, I have worked in academia, gov't, and industry with lots of PhD's primarily in engineering. I've never heard of something called a PD in engineering.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.