Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I may have to kill the Joneses, but I'll try.

LOL!

8D

You say that like there's something wrong with that....

Every once in awhile I wonder if DH and I aren't living TOO far below our means. We both work - but down the street is a single-income household. The husband works where I work, doing what I do (so I assume I can guess their income). DH and I have been living on the same old carpeting and vinyl for 15 years. The "Jonses" have

1.) Complete re-vamped their HVAC system to a dust-free unit (not that the old one didn't work, mind you).
2.) Replaced ALL the floors in the house with hardwood (tile in the baths). Then didn't like them and had them all re-finished. Also marbled their fireplace.
3.) Bought the mother of all flat-screened TV's
4.) Hired an interior decorator and bought all new furniture
5.) Put in an in-ground pool with patio
6.) Bought two new cars
7.) Hired a landscaper
8.) Maid-service twice a month ($125/per - I got a quote once).

On less than half our income. In the past 4 years.

By comparison, we've bought two cars after our old ones could no longer be fixed. No maid, no landscaper, no decorator, no pool, no hardwoods, no marble, no flat-screen. We're going to hardwood one room later this year because the vinyl is full of holes.

Unless they inherited buccu bucks from someone rich, though, I'd love to compare debt-loads...and retirement savings....our "shabby" house is 2 years from being paid-for. Mortgage is our only debt. We're stashing 17% pre-tax into 401-K accounts (from both paychecks) and three years ago we bought a rental property.

I say Eff the Jonses. They'll be living on cat-food in retirement or the poor DH will be working when he's 80 to support her spending. FIRE and "keeping up with the Jonses" are incompatible goals.

SG "Not keeping up with the Jonses, either."
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement