Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I must of missed this on Turbo-Tax. I calculate I overpaid by about $100. How hard would it be to get this back? I don't want the IRS to give my return special attention!

Then you won't get your money back, but it's silly not to amend your return just because you don't want them to look at it. But since that $100 amount sounds odd to me, let's first make sure you missed it.

Look at your copy of the return. Is the box at line 39c checked? If it is, TT took adavantage of the deduction. If it isn't, you need to amend your return on Form 1040-X.

If you did your return with purchased software TT will prepare the amended return for you, but you cannot e-file it. If you used their free online version, I doubt you can do the amended return through it, but it won't hurt to check. If not, download the form and instructions from the IRS site.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.