UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: VReinoso Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: Transforming my 401k from Wise to Foolish Date: 9/30/1998 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I must thank you all for your input. Apart from the valuable perspective your replies offer, it is also quite welcoming to get responses to my first Foolish posting. Thanks again.

The very process of typing my original post brought me closer to the decision that felt right and now that I have other opinions on the matter, I feel solid comfort in making the decision to withdraw all my money from the Wise.

Pixy's comment that to sit and wait to recoup losses was in effect an attempt at timing the market was compelling as was Bob's comment that to leave any money with the Wise was inconsistent with my decision to be Foolish.

DownwardSpiral's contrarian reply was also helpful, because it made me stop and review my reasoning. If it was the drop in my 401k that was troubling me, that I would indeed need to consider whether an equity position was appropriate. It was also helpful to be reminded that losses are not the exclusive purview of the Wise. The decision to be Foolish should not be viewed as protection from loss.

In reflecting, it became clear to me that what was troubling me was not the loss, but the lack of control. While I believe that my fund choices were sound in the context of an all mutual fund 401k plan that did not have an index fund choice, the more important issue for me was whether I wanted to make decisions in the context of mutual funds at all given the choice. I am certain that I do NOT, and so the decision is one fundamentally of control over my finances. My employer has now given me the choice between a Wisely managed 401k or a Foolishly self-managed 401k. In that context, I feel I must choose to be Foolish 100%; not out of disrespect for the wise or a naive assumption that I as a Fool will always post a gain, but out of a respect for myself and the comfort that all future investment decisions in my 401k (gloriously positive and painfully negative) will be transparent with a trail leading not to the plush offices of the Wise but to a Fool--ME!

Thanks again for all the input.

Best,

Victor

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement