Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122134  
Subject: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there a book that you would recommend for a first time dog owner? Something that starts with simple instructions like how to pet your dog?

My nephew has just bought a Shar Pei. Over the internet. He's never had a dog before.

No, I did not encourage him to buy a dog from a breed that is noted as not being for a first=time dog owner.

The puppy is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Nancy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119840 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I overnighted Dogs All in One for Dummies to him, so that's a start.

Nancy
no, this is not how I would have recommended getting a dog.

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119841 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 4:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete

http://www.amazon.com/The-Raising-Puppy-Revised-Edition/dp/0...

Author: fancifree Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119842 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 5:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
I would suggest he find a puppy class and run to it! I'm not sure what age puppies have to be to attend, but even if his puppy is not old enough, he could go and watch from the sideline. He will learn a lot and see firsthand what to do!

-Donna

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119843 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 6:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
Thanks. I already suggested finding an obedience course, and I may recommend more books.

Really. This is insane. He's never had a dog, his family never had dogs, and he knows absolutely nothing at all about them. I went back to the very basic first step: how to pet your dog. (Crouch in front, hold out your hand, let the dog sniff you, then pet him). He didn't know that.

A Shar Pei. Not a good dog for beginners.

Bought over the internet. If I could reach through the monitor I'd strangle him.

He has the qualities to be a great dog owner. He's friendly, gentle, kind, and patient. But buying a breed he doesn't know anything about. . .

If I'd known about this earlier I'd have sat down and had a nice long talk with him about dog breeds. I'd have explained which dogs are good for beginners, how various breeds evolved, and many other things.

But since the dog is ready to be shipped, the only thing I can do at this point is get him the knowledge he needs to work with the dog and overcome the lack of knowledge he has.

To give an example, he asked about declawing the dog. He asked the BREEDER about declawing the dog. Any sane breeder, even one working through the internet, would have asked some hard questions about his dog knowledge. That she ignored the question sends a strong message about where her interest is.

And yes, I explained about declawing; what is involved, and why some people declaw cats, and why dogs don't need it.

Any more information is welcome.

Nancy
can you hear my head hitting the desk? Repeatedly?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119844 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 8:21 PM

Nancy
can you hear my head hitting the desk? Repeatedly?

happy 'Loons Day!

(>:

..... how old's the nephew? maybe it won't be so bad.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119845 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 8:23 PM
There are a few Shar Pei's in the neighborhood and they look like nice dogs. My daughter went out to buy an ice cream and came back with a Dachshund puppy ten years ago. She had no clue as to what to do with the puppy. Harry is doing just fine nearly ten years later.
Puppies are like babies in a way. You walk them, you feed them, you play with them. Most of all, you love them.
The best of luck with this new puppy.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119846 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 8:42 PM
how old's the nephew? maybe it won't be so bad.

And he works evenings and nights.(Assistant manager at a bar/restaurant).

So he's really starting from scratch on this. I want him to succeed. I want the dog to become well-socialized and friendly, and for this to be a good experience. That's why I told him some of the basics and ordered that book for him, so he can learn and take care of what's her name.

It's just that he's going the wrong way round on this, and it's going to take a lot of effort.

Nancy

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119847 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/11/2012 8:52 PM
My daughter went out to buy an ice cream and came back with a Dachshund ...

Thank you for not calling it a dash hound! It really irks me when people show their ignorance like that.

This German dog was bred to hunt badgers.
German: Badger is Dachs, ergo: Badger dog.

Regards and best of luck finding the dog under all that Sharpei skin!

Grumpy

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119848 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 9:03 AM
Wow, best of luck to you and him. Did he explain what motivated him in the first place and why a Sharpei? Just wondering what his explanations were. I worked with a lady (we were both vet techs) and she had several Sharpeis at once and through the years. Still does have several. They killed her cat. She can never have cats again but is ok with that. They can be quite aggressive if not socialized properly, and hers were, believe it or not. They get into fights all the time. They have the problems with the rolling in of the eyelids (entropion) which requires surgery. If they are really wrinkled they can get staph and yeast infections in the folds. That being said, I have also known some nice Sharpeis that were not too wrinkly and did not have the eye problems and had lovely temperaments. Mostly those were pseudo Sharpeis, with a not completely pure background. Having bought off the internet, maybe he'll luck into one of these Sharpei mixes that seem to have a few less issues. One can only hope the pup is really old enough to be shipped and survive the trip.
Please keep us posted on his story.
JK

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119849 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 10:26 AM
Recommendations: 2

Please have a talk with him now on how to find a good home for the dog if it turns out dog ownership isn't for him.

Also have a talk with him about pet insurance, because with an unvetted pure-breed the dog's more likely to have health issues.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119850 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 11:21 AM
We relocated to a different state a few years back and I went to the dentist. Was having a nice chat with the hygienist when she described a dog to me and she called it a dash hound. I could not believe my ears. She said it several times so I knew that she had no clue about how to pronounce this breeds name. This has happened one other time and it really irks me. Glad you mentioned it. I thought it was just me who got annoyed with things like that.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119851 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 11:23 AM
I am wondering the same thing. What possessed your nephew to buy this unusual breed of dog and over the internet no less.

Author: gooffool57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119854 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 12:46 PM
Hi Nancy,

Hopefully he is a quick learner and doesn't get upset easily while the pup learns what "housebroken" means! and he can deal with the teething stage!

Regarding declawing - I was shocked when I learned that some owners who compete in agility or flyball, where the dog has to jump over bars, will have the dew claws removed. Fortunately, many other owners use the cool gauze tape to keep the dew claw from being banged (and sometimes torn) when their dogs fly over the obstacles.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the pup.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119858 of 122134
Subject: Re: I need a quick answer Date: 10/12/2012 3:11 PM
I really don't know what motivated him. He lives alone, so I can understand wanting a dog or other pet. He sent out an email a week or so ago, to the whole family, saying he had decided to get a Shar Pei or Mini Shar Pei, and was PuppyFind the best place to look.

http://www.puppyfind.com/

I emailed back, rather urgently, that Shar Peis could be aggressive toward other animals and were expensive due to health concerns, and there were other websites. I also offered to lend him my copy of "Paws to Consider". A few days later I was emailing his mother (my sister-in-law) about a different matter, and told her that Shar Peis were not a good breed for a novice owner. And then there was another family-wide email saying the dog was ready to be shipped. I don't know where the dog is being shipped from, but the words "Puppy Mill" are flashing off and on in neon colors.

Any good breeder, even if it's someone who sells over the internet, or at least finds purchasers through the internet, would have all the alarm bells ringing about selling to a novice. And most of them wouldn't sell over the internet anyway.

He has two sisters who live in DC, both of them married, both with children, both with cats. He lives in the Boston area, but likes to visit them. (Right. Difficult breed with prey-driven issues owned by someone who doesn't know anything about dogs ushered into home with small children and cats.)

I haven't asked him if the breeder will take the dog back if there is a problem. I suspect she won't. I do know that he doesn't have the foggiest notion what he's getting into, and I suspect that most of the family are also very concerned. (Most members of the older generation have had dogs, it's the younger members who haven't had them. Most of the younger ones have, or have had, cats.)

There are so many other breeds that are easier for a first-time owner. And there's so much he needs to know about having a dog. And there are so many other breeders who would be willing to work with a novice owner. But, since the dog has been bought and is on the way, I want to do anything I can to turn this into a positive experience.

At some point I'll ask him about his choice and if he did any real research. (That is, I'll ask him if the rest of the family isn't already asking the same question.) I suspect he found the site and noticed how cute the wrinkly pups are. Because really, the wrinkly pups are adorable. But he is not a person who really sees things far ahead. He's much more of a "this sounds good so I'll do it" type person.

It's one of those scenarios where you just can't imagine this going well. But at least he has one reference book to get him started.

Nancy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement