Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Barolo97 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: I need a teacher Date: 3/23/2006 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am tired of getting slaughtered on ICC, and I don't learn theory well from books. Any ideas?
Peace,
Nate
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TycoonGamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9133 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/24/2006 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Chess mentor is helping my game.

http://www.bkchess.com/Chess_Software/Chess_Mentor/chess_mentor.html

Author: TMFKhat Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9134 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/27/2006 2:35 PM
www.chess.fm has free chess video lectures. You may find Openings for Amateurs useful.

Regards,
Joey

Author: lordmactalon One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9135 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/29/2006 2:35 PM
IMHO, (In my humble opinion), books aren't very good resources to use. I read something that said people that are good at solving chess problems, aren't too good at a full chess game. My suggestion is to just keep playing! Play against yourself (just don't take one side or another), play with your friends, play online ect. ect.

I love to play against myself. That is how I got to where I am right now (co-champion of my chess club). Normally what I do is I come out on one side with my standard move. Then on the other side I expirement. I do something different (sometimes very unorthodox) change something ect. Again, don't take one side or another.

Hope this helps.

Signed,
Lord Mactalon

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9137 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 5:49 PM
The best book I've checked out has been Logical Chess: Move by Move, by Chernev. Every move is explained, which helps a lot, especially openings. Chessmaster also has some illustrated games, move by move, narrated by the Bobby Fisher movie kid, I forget his name.

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9138 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 6:07 PM
Josh Waitzkin

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9139 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 6:53 PM
That do be him. He actually did turn into a pretty good chessplayer.

Author: GrootMeister One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9142 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 5/4/2006 8:50 PM
You may want to check this book. It is a test to figure out what you need to work on. It's "Chess Exam and Training Guide" by Igor Khmelnitsky; see http://www.iamcoach.com/chess/chessexam.htm

I have used it and it's was well worth my while. BTW, Igor K. is a great coach if you are looking for one.

--gr00t

Author: wheels76 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9144 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 8/3/2006 3:08 PM
I really like the game Chessmaster 9000 (not sure if there's a newer version out now). It has a bunch of tutorials, and different modes where you can receive criticism and suggestions from the computer when making a move. Plus, it has a wide range of skill levels to play and progress against. Josh Waitkins (sp?) is featured in the tutorials.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement