Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Barolo97 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: I need a teacher Date: 3/23/2006 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am tired of getting slaughtered on ICC, and I don't learn theory well from books. Any ideas?
Peace,
Nate
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TycoonGamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9133 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/24/2006 10:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Chess mentor is helping my game.

http://www.bkchess.com/Chess_Software/Chess_Mentor/chess_mentor.html

Author: TMFKhat Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9134 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/27/2006 2:35 PM
www.chess.fm has free chess video lectures. You may find Openings for Amateurs useful.

Regards,
Joey

Author: lordmactalon One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9135 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 3/29/2006 2:35 PM
IMHO, (In my humble opinion), books aren't very good resources to use. I read something that said people that are good at solving chess problems, aren't too good at a full chess game. My suggestion is to just keep playing! Play against yourself (just don't take one side or another), play with your friends, play online ect. ect.

I love to play against myself. That is how I got to where I am right now (co-champion of my chess club). Normally what I do is I come out on one side with my standard move. Then on the other side I expirement. I do something different (sometimes very unorthodox) change something ect. Again, don't take one side or another.

Hope this helps.

Signed,
Lord Mactalon

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9137 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 5:49 PM
The best book I've checked out has been Logical Chess: Move by Move, by Chernev. Every move is explained, which helps a lot, especially openings. Chessmaster also has some illustrated games, move by move, narrated by the Bobby Fisher movie kid, I forget his name.

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9138 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 6:07 PM
Josh Waitzkin

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9139 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 4/11/2006 6:53 PM
That do be him. He actually did turn into a pretty good chessplayer.

Author: GrootMeister One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9142 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 5/4/2006 8:50 PM
You may want to check this book. It is a test to figure out what you need to work on. It's "Chess Exam and Training Guide" by Igor Khmelnitsky; see http://www.iamcoach.com/chess/chessexam.htm

I have used it and it's was well worth my while. BTW, Igor K. is a great coach if you are looking for one.

--gr00t

Author: wheels76 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9144 of 9208
Subject: Re: I need a teacher Date: 8/3/2006 3:08 PM
I really like the game Chessmaster 9000 (not sure if there's a newer version out now). It has a bunch of tutorials, and different modes where you can receive criticism and suggestions from the computer when making a move. Plus, it has a wide range of skill levels to play and progress against. Josh Waitkins (sp?) is featured in the tutorials.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement