UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42342  
Subject: I need to catch up Date: 11/15/2012 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Séamus is my wee man, he just turned three back in September. Sometimes though, I need to catch up. He is a growing boy.

The family went to the zoo last weekend, along with SIL and her son, six months younger than Séamus.

Séamus had a map with him for most of the zoo. I just figured he was acting like he was reading and looking at he pictures on it. We were most of the way through when he asked me

"Where are the goats?"
Crap I thought, the petting zoo is closed for the winter, there are no goats here.
"Um, not around here"
"Dad, Zebra" points to a picture of the zebra on the map, then to the zebra in front of us.
"Giraffe", points to the giraffes we just past and to them on the map
"Rino", does the same
"Look" Then he points to a picture of an Addax, a kind of antelope, on the map, right near where we are.
"Where the goats?"
"Oh" I turn around and spot them, they were kind of hiding. "They are over there"

I had no idea that he was actually reading the freaking map. Not reading words, but he used it to figure out we were near something he wanted to see. My MIL thought that he knew the zoo well enough, but that really didn't matter since he used the map to prove to me that there were 'goats' where we were.

I need to catch up, I keep thinking him as the wee baby, but he is developing and it keeps catching me unaware. I need the book we had in his first year, 'At 3 months you child should be looking around a laughing when she pees when her diaper is off, potty humor starts now'

Side note
You know Nerf makes swords? Why couldn't they make swords when I was a kid, we had to smack each other with sticks

Ford
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41993 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/16/2012 8:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
You know Nerf makes swords? Why couldn't they make swords when I was a kid, we had to smack each other with sticks.

Yes.

Yes I do.

And battle axes. And mauls. And, and, and.

GSF
... mother of boys enamored of Nerf weaponry in ALL forms...

Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41994 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/16/2012 8:45 AM
DD#1 will be three in December and I am right there with you. She has so many books memorized she can finish the sentenses. She remembers so many things and the "logic" is too funny.

I had a stomach bug a few weeks ago and told her that was why I wasn't going to be doing her swim lesson, her dad would be in the water with her. She told my mom I had a fly in my tummy. Then later she was asking me how the fly got out when I felt better. Kills me. The things we tell them that we understand and they take a whole different place!

Nicole

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41996 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/16/2012 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
GSF
... mother of boys enamored of Nerf weaponry in ALL forms...

I got him two, because if I had gotten him one it wouldn't be a sword fight, but him smacking me with a foam sword. Mothers and Babies do not get hit with swords in our house.

But GSF, how did you do with Sandy?
Our power was out for 15 hours, the other side of the street lost it for 2 1/2 days. Mum and Dad lost it for a week, maybe? Bradley Beach held up much better than a lot of the other towns. Mum and Dad didn't even have their basement flood (it never floods) but the ocean did get a block from their house.

Séamus asked if the big bad wolf was blowing our house down. Odd, since we never read him that story, but his mother tried to calm him. I looked at him and said, 'Séamus, this house is a brick mortor house, not some facade, but real brick. This is the house that the other pigs ran to be safe from the big bad wolf. This is the house he couldn't blow down' That worked, but he wasn't all that upset anyway. I was just hoping the neighbors tree didn't fall on the house. The walls are mortor, the roof isn't.

Ford

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41997 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/16/2012 3:17 PM
Recommendations: 2
But GSF, how did you do with Sandy?

Thanks so much for asking!!!

I'm in Somerset County. We got walloped. Not the same way as the coastal portions, but there were trees EVERYWHERE. Roads closed everywhere, schools out for a week and a half.

I could have had it much worse. I didn't have any flooding in my house thanks to my generator. I didn't have a tree land IN my home, only in my yard.

I was out of power for a solid week. We learned an awful lot about what generators do and don't do, and how to make do without water when you have a well. I'm glad we did a lot of storm prep.

During the storm itself, our house was howling. The wind would catch the vents at an angle and it literally sounded like there were wolves in our attic and the walls. The boys were completely freaked out, even though we knew what it was it sounded awful.

But we tried to treat it as a learning experience, overall... hopefully some of the lessons will stick!

Thanks!

GSF

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42000 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/19/2012 1:36 PM
Séamus asked if the big bad wolf was blowing our house down. Odd, since we never read him that story, but his mother tried to calm him. I looked at him and said, 'Séamus, this house is a brick mortor house, not some facade, but real brick. This is the house that the other pigs ran to be safe from the big bad wolf. This is the house he couldn't blow down'

I insist you get him
The three little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig

peace & books
t

also in a household of nerf weaponry

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42001 of 42342
Subject: Re: I need to catch up Date: 11/19/2012 2:43 PM
We had one of those moments this weekend. My husband was holding Anthony when I offered Anthony a cookie. He took it and kept saying "dada please". We were mystified but after he kept repeating it, I handed him another cookie, which he held up to dada's mouth!

When he came back to the kitchen for a second cookie he said "dada please" again and got another cookie for my husband. Nope, not an attempt to get himself extra cookies, but an unprompted spontaneous desire to share!

Then when we were reading a Thomas book and he was pointing to trains I said "sorry honey, I don't know the name of that green engine" and he said "Henry". Yep, it was Henry!

Lara Amber

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement