No. of Recommendations: 9
I need to post my views and vent my feelings. I love Loki's posts and that is the major reason why I'm here.
I'm set to retire shortly and I have about 50% of my assets in stocks and 50% in fixed income.
I enjoy investing in stocks because of the tremendous opportunity of gains and feel that I mitigate the down side by a heavy fixed income investment.
For my fixed income investment, I don't wish to invest in bond funds or bonds. I take my risk with stocks because there is a good chance of substantial gain. My fixed income cannot take any loss, because that would really rub me the wrong way, so I avoid bond funds.
I avoid bonds for another reason. I don't enjoy the research for what I perceive to be such a small gain. I'm comfortable earning my 4-6% interest that I have on my current CD's. I don't want to have something that matures in 10-20 years from a company that may go belly up. I realize that this risk is offset by the better returns, but when you tell me that you can get me an extra 1-2% on my fixed income by just doing a little work, I reject that idea.
My time is valuable and if I would rather spend time doing landscape photography, building model ships, building a reef tank, doing fantasy baseball and spending time with my family, than waste my time researching bonds to earn an extra percent or two, I'm content with my decision.
I've always been able to multiply any pair of two digit numbers in my head, so I get the math. I just choose to take my chances with stocks, stabilize my portfolio with a CD that is guaranteed and enjoy the rest of my time doing things I enjoy more. I'm sure a lot of others feel that way, also.

piranha1
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement