UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 753424  
Subject: Re: How Capitalism Can Save Art Date: 10/8/2012 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I never experienced that. I went off to college and never left. I attended both the University of Georgia and the University of Tennessee and never experienced this defamation ya'll believe exists. Not only did I attended two major Universities but afterwards I worked at the Uni. of GA School of Pharmacy and the Uni. of TN College of Vet Medicine. We never talked about politics nor was it mentioned. It just wasn't an issue.

Oh, I've seen it, heard it and experienced it big time here at UofM.

When I was a student (1996-2001) Clinton was President (Bush when I graduated) so I went through two Presidential elections as an undergrad. I was a member of the College Republicans, and things got very testy for us during the Clinton/Dole campaign. Besides being called Nazis by the editor of the campus paper (we chalked the Diag on the same night as the LGBT group did, apparently our chalking on their pink triangle was a "hate crime" in their eyes, lol!) and one of my professors flat out said in class that if a Republican was ever elected President he'd turn this country into a penal colony. This wasn't a Poli Sci class, but rather a Medieval European History class so it wasn't at all related to the course material. He just really hated Republicans.

To be fair there wasn't a ton of this kind of stuff from the professors (the student body was predominantly leftist, so tons of it from them) but of all the political incidents from profs (one had us go out to the Diag to see the Rev. Jessie Jackas... er, Jackson give a speech, it was an English class so, again, not related to the subject material!) I don't recall any that were anti-lefty but plenty that were anti-Conservative/Capitalist/Republican etc.

You didn't even have to go to class to see this stuff. I started working full time for the campus police in 2000, working midnights patrolling buildings/campus. I walked through pretty much every building on campus, seeing almost every office door. Lots of them had postings on them. Sometimes they were comics related to whatever was going on in there (lots of good physics comics!) or research papers the occupants were cited in, but there were plenty of political postings as well. I saw maybe a handful of Bush stickers, and most of them were on the doors of Conservative student groups (like the College Republicans who had an office in the Michigan Union) or in the Business School, but you better believe I saw lots and lots and LOTS of Gore stickers, pro-affirmiative action petitions, etc. The Law School was decked out like Gore campaign headquarters based on the stickers and the writing on the "free speech board" (anyone who dared write anything pro-Conservative would get a LOT of responses, PA-type lefty drivel).

Working here I still hear a lot of political talk. A lot of the patrol officers are conservatives, but most of those who work in the offices/dispatch are liberal, some extremely so. I'm one of the rare exceptions of a person who isn't in patrol who is a hard-core conservative. They all know where I stand, most of them are friends on FB and, of course, they see my postings (I've been thrashing Social Security on my wall lately) but by and large we don't talk about it too much at work. But every now and again...

And this is one of the few places on campus you'll find anything close to a majority of conservatives all in one place. That may be part of the reason I work here in fact.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement