UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yodaorange Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77104  
Subject: Re: BDCs on Barrons Date: 4/23/2013 3:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
I no longer follow any of the BDC's. Everyone should understand that there were two large BDC's prior to the 2008 crash:

1)Allied Capital aka ALD which essentially went bankrupt. It was the subject of a book by David Einhorn Fooling Some of the People All of the Time. David's big complaint was that ALD did NOT accurately mark all of their investments to market. He had been claiming that for several years before the crash. ALD might have survived intact if the crash hadn't occurred. We will never know. Investors lost something like 90% or 95% in the downfall.

2) American Capital aka ACAS survived the crash, but was severely wounded. It peaked at ~ $50 back in 2007. It is currently trading at ~ $14.00, so many investors have lost a lot of principle. They also suspended their dividend in 2009 and it has NOT been restored.

So this is what happened the the two largest and "best managed" BDC's.

Are you sure that today's BDC's could weather another storm like the last one? Since I don't spend any time on BDC's, I do not have a current opinion. I would certainly be suspicious.

Stated differently, any investment that is currently paying 8%+ yields today is HIGH RISK. The market it telling us that, even if we don't want to hear it. . .

Thanks,

Yodaorange
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement