UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: emintz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4290  
Subject: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/5/2005 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 204
Nomination of Zeelotes for the Feste Award

The stated mission of TMF is “Learning Together.” Over the past year, one member who has embodied this idea is Zeelotes. Zeelotes would be the first to tell you that his research and posts have been undertaken for purely selfish reasons: to capture ideas from other members of the community in order to increase his own investing skill. However, he has spent long hours building databases and has demonstrated a clear willingness to test ideas contributed by the rest of the community. His preference is generally to present data and let everyone draw their own conclusions, and if errors are found, he always goes back and corrects them in order that the truth be revealed.

Some examples of his contributions in 2005:

In http://fireboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22233017, “When will the ST weakness end?”, Zeelotes analyzes past seasonal and presidential cycle trends, and correctly suggest that a trough in the Russell 2000 was unlikely to occur during the summer.

In http://fireboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23046118, “Which measure will predict the best screen?”, Zeelotes examines numerous variables from backtests to determine which best predicts future performance. And trying to predict future performance is what investment success is all about!

In http://fireboards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22580475, “Capitalizing on Sector Rotation”, Zeelotes lays out and tests a mechanical investment strategy using Fidelity sector funds that shows strong promise as a strategy for beating the market.

Zeelotes' strongest characteristic is probably his dedication to using objective data to make decisions rather than subjective impressions – why argue about something when the data exists to answer a question conclusively? As one who conducts a huge amount of research, shares his data, and always encourages others to do the same, Zeelotes is deserving of this year's Feste Award.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlyingCircus Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2536 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/5/2005 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 3
Additional comment:
In a post that received 105 recommendations just BEFORE the Feste award started, I said:
Zeelotes' contribution to this board has become very significant. Since 10/24, he's posted 101 times, started 10% of the thread volume and added about 1% of the total post volume personally - with an average rec count of over 30.

To summarize, another member's comment:
Zeelotes has by far contributed the most original and thought provoking material to this board this year.

Hear hear! Seconded! Whatever!

FC

Author: nyua Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2537 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/5/2005 6:13 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hear hear! I third the nomination.

When most of us found the Motley Fool, the main purpose was to becoming unlike the "wise" and learn to invest for ourselves.

Through the years, a whole gaggle of sites emerged with many far reaching topics. Some of my favorites have little to do with investing.

However, I think this would be a great year to recognize an individiual that has devoted a great deal of time, energy and talent to help us to become a "fool".

I support Zeelotes nomination.

Regards,
..marjory.. aka nyua

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2542 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/6/2005 4:37 AM
...the main purpose was to becoming unlike the "wise"...

I think this would be a great year to recognize an individiual that has devoted a great deal of time, energy and talent to help us to become a "fool".

Would you like to edit that?

just asking. ;-)

Author: nyua Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2543 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/6/2005 8:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hi,

As you know, the Motley Fool, uses the "fool" (lower case) to imply the opposite when they first started their business.

This was suppose to be the opposite of "wise" meaning the stock analysts and stock touters.

But of course, you knew that..

..marjory..

Author: Baltassar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2546 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/6/2005 3:44 PM
Recommendations: 4
No way to know, of course, by I'd guess that, if the Feste award were based simply on the amount of actual money made thanks to a given nominee's posts, Zeelotes would win hands down.

Baltassar

Author: Syvash Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2548 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/7/2005 5:31 AM

Zeelotes,

Thank You for the excellent & extraordinary work.

With the wish that you keep up the great volume.

By the way I am still keeping at the running the Optimizer for 5 Screen Annual hold. I am rusty so it is taking a while.

Syvash

Author: comptche Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2550 of 4290
Subject: Re: I nominate Zeelotes Date: 12/7/2005 10:35 PM
Recommendations: 4
Just so that you do not think that Zeelotes' value is only related to those who frequent the MI Board, I want to add my support to the others already given... I frequent other boards more often than MI, but must check in daily/weekly to see what Zeelotes is up to because it is usually of value to those of us who are not practicing Mechanical Investing, but using other methods of investing... His studies are of a large variety and usually apply to something that is important to anyone on any fool board at any time... Three cheers to Zeelotes who is like the energizer bunny, keeps going and going and going... and three cheers for the good discussion that his posts generate on a board with pretty savy folks...

Anne

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement