UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35357  
Subject: Re: Consumer Debt Doubles in Decade Date: 1/6/2004 7:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I note that friends that have been participating in the re-fi trend have mostly taken cash out to consolidate their credit, only to be rebuilding their credit card balances again.

When I refinanced my mortgage, I had to tell the loan officer several times that I was not taking cash out, and furthermore I wanted to pay cash for the closing costs instead of folding closing costs into the new mortgage. My impression was that most of his clients were taking equity out or at least folding closing costs into the refi.

A few years ago I did some google searching and came across a report on the FDIC site about high LTV loans--a company surveyed a number of borrowers and within 1 year 70% of them were back in credit card debt.

In fact, it is so common for people to drive back up the balances on their credit cards that the industry even has a term for that: reload.

Informal observations in the Consumer Credit / Credit Card board confirms the 70% ratio with some insight: people who made use of home equity loans, 401(k) loans, or borrowed from parents to pay off the cards, but didn't have a definite debt elimination plan, usually ended back in credit card debt (they "reloaded" their credit cards), with the result being worse than if they hadn't taken out a loan to refinance their credit card debt. On the other hand, those who had a definite debt elimination plan and were sticking with it and used such a loan were usually successful in staying out of credit card debt.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement