Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I now have a Self Directed Investment Account tied to my 401K.
I like good paying dividend stocks, but most of these are
partnerships with K-1 forms, and some are from Canada.

So, am I in for a mess of tax paperwork this year?
Is this still income if held in a 401K?
What about reimbursement of Tax Withheld at the source?
(FED, State, or Canadian Tax)

First, I really hope that you are the sole participant in the 401(K) or are the trustee where you have some say over the administration of the plan, otherwise both of them are not going to be happy with you.

Back in March & April, there were discussions on the Tax Stratagies board on holding these types of investmemts in an IRA and it aslo aplies to 401(K)'s.

The 401(K) is the owner of the investments, you are not. The 401(K) may or may not be required to file tax returns (a 990-T for federal and fiduciary return(s) for the state(s)). It is not the custodian who is responsible for filing these returns, it's the trustee's duty.

If the 401(k) owns the investments, the income is the 401(K)s and any foreign tax, federal and state withholding belong to the 401(K) not you.
In general, any benefit of the foreign taxes withheld are lost in 401(K)s and IRAs.

By owning these investments in a 401(K), you have added complications and added expense to the 401(K) plan. If you have no control over the plan, then you're at the mercy of whoever runs the plan.

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.