UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: A good retirement car Date: 10/30/2005 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I once had a 1975 Ford LTD (I bought it in 1985), and I drove that thing for 15 years. It had all the goodies, too, a good radio, A/C, etc.

To each his own. I must admit I like my leather seats, but the rest of that crap I can live without. It's just more stuff that breaks that I then may need to repair. I'm not interested in spending yet more of my time repairing the car. A car repair just about tops the list of my least favorite chores.

Tmeri, do you buy the rent-a-car company's collision insurance when you rent?

No, I do not. All of my credit cards (VISA, at least) will cover that, provided that I rent the car on their card, which I do. You cannot get a rental for cash most places, so you'll have to have a credit card, anyway. Being the belt and suspenders type, I always call the CC company just before I go to pick up the car to verify that they are covering the collision. I would hate for their policy to change without my noticing it.

I think your own insurance would cover liability, but it would not cover the rent-a-car in case of an accident.

Correct. It pays to have a conversation with your insurance agent. Mine tells me that if I carried comprehensive/collision on my own vehicles, it would be covered on the rental. I don't know if that is true for all companies or not. In any event, it doesn't matter, because I do not carry that kind of insurance on my own vehicles.

I've rented cars before and gotten the collision (don't want to take any chances), but it sure is expensive.

It is expensive, and that's why I don't get it, plus I get it for free through my credit card. However, as a cautionary note, I have no experience with trying to resolve one of those deals through the credit card, so I don't know if that goes smoothly or not. Of course, I don't know if it would be a problem if you get the coverage through the rental agency, either.

If you have AAA, you may want to look to see if they offer it as part of the membership somehow. Incidentally, one of the small benefits of AAA is that I've gotten better discounts through them than what is offered through AARP. Just one more reason not to join AARP, I suppose.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement