Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 668  
Subject: Re: Clarification Date: 2/28/2012 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I only post his as there has been talk about the XL pipeline which is about oil, which is what COP is about. I do think concerns about lack of jobs creation is important but i also think there is wisdom in re-routing it around the ogallala aquifer which extends over most of nebraska south to the texas panhandle. The latter is what Obama's decision was about - not killing the pipeline but inviting a re-route. An oil spill in that aquifer would potentially be a multi-state, long-term, economic disaster. Sadly, it looked like the jobs would have to wait, as unfortunate as that is in these times. The good news comes today: TransCan is so intent on building that they will start building the lower half, from northern Oklahoma to Port Arthur Texas!!

You are speculating upon facts not in evidence and upon your assumptions about the president's unstated intentions.

The facts are:
He cancelled the project
There are already oil pipe lines over this aquifer
But he recently approved the building of a segment of THIS pipeline over THIS aquifer
The president encouraged this company to reapply for the permit sometime before the election in the fall...

We can spend all day guessing at his intentions but the facts do NOT support the administrations stated position and reasoning. So I assume the president makes these decisions based upon cold political calculation on how to get votes and not the best interests of the environment, water, or the country as a whole. My assumptions do a better job at predicting his behavior than the altruistic assumptions do.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement