No. of Recommendations: 1
I own a gold week at Marriott's Village d'Ile-de-France near Disneyland Paris and on the train line into Paris. We've not only stayed there, but traded our week for either Marriott reward points and traded for a week at another resort.

The location is within a day of driving from where we live in Germany, but we've also flown there as well.

I like that flexibilty of either staying at my home resort, trading for another, or using points for a Marriott hotel. I've done all three and each has worked out fine.

Marriott uses Interval International (similar to RCI) and I've never had a problem with a trade. The basic process is that we reserve our week, give it to Interval for trade, and they give us a trade certificate that we can use to make a selection at another resort. Once I trade my resort, I can book another resort in thier directory. Once I have put the week up for trade at Interval, I don't have to worry if someone wants it or not. You can also purchase a week at another timeshare through Interval if you don't want to trade or need an extra week somewhere.

For example, this year we traded our week at the Paris resort into interval and booked a two bedroom place at the Marriot resort in Newport Beach, CA. The following week, we purchased a week at a Marriott resort near Phoenix. Finally, for our last week we booked seven days at a Marriott hotel in San Franciso using Marriott points that I had transfered over from last year. You don't have to use the points in the same year as you accrue them.

I can't answer a lot of your questions, since I really don't know how the resort you looked at works or how RCI handles trades. I will say that it is often difficult to find urban resort area, since most timeshares are built around golf, beach, mountain, or amusement park areas. For us, if we decide that we want to stay in an urban area, trading for points, and using those points to books a regular Marriott hotel property allows this option.

I hope that helps...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement