Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
I own some HWP stock. It did a 2 for 1 split in October. How do I report that on my taxes? Is it a capital gain or a dividend and what part of the 1040 or Schedule A is it recorded on?
=== === ===
The split itself is not reported anywhere now. You will report any gain or loss on the HWP shares only when you sell them. The total cost basis of the shares is unchanged, but the cost basis per share is now half of your original cost basis as adjusted for the tax-free spinoff of Agilent.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.