Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I own stock in a company that spun off a portion of the corporation to create a new corporation. I received shares in the new corporation plus some cash for fractional share. Should I have received a 1099B for this transaction? Is there a dollar value under which the broker is not required to issue a 1099?
I did not receive any tax forms regarding this transaction. The cost basis for the fractional share and the amount received were both less than $10.

Most brokers do a poor job of reporting cash-in-lieu, often reporting it as a liquidating dividend and not a capital transaction. There is a minimum dollar amount for (broker) reporting of these transactions, but I can't remember if it's $10 or $20.

Either way, you're responsible for reporting the income (gain or loss) on your tax return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.