Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2237  
Subject: Re: Risint Star Buy: AMZN Date: 1/12/2012 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I owned Google in the Fall of 2009 and sold it in early 2010. What spooked me were low margins, tax threats, and lousy PEG.

CORRECTION: That should read I owned Amazon.

Imagine Wal-Mart, vilified on multiple fronts, becoming the sympathetic focus of the man and woman on Main Street because they have to fight a competitor that is putting no dollars in their local community or state. And, with its

Ah, the trouble with long posts. No time to proof some times... What I meant to say was: And, with its reputation for abandoning partners when the tax man arrives in a state, will Amazon be viewed as a protected crony investment or the needed source for income?

I do not see no sales tax at the state level as a Democrat or Republican issue. When it comes to looking for revenue sources, hasn't the oil industry just lost some of its tax breaks? Ethanol too. It is a favorite of the corn belt (i.e., farmers) and some alternative energy folks. But they lost their tariff protection from Brazilian ethanol. Amazon, to me, looks like a plump opportunity for harvesting tax dollars.

I am not considering Amazon at all.

Which, for the rest of the world, meanings nothing. The technicals, though, are turning positive:

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AMZN&p=D&b=5&g=...

My favorite, the 20-day moving average, has turned positive today. Relative strength isn't making a turn up yet but Amazon is solidly in the oversold camp. At this point, the downside looks limited.

Sorry for the errors in my previous post.

W.D.

P.S. For those wondering how successful you can be following a single technical tool, look at SZYM. It broke above the 20-day moving average nine trading days ago and, except for the following day, has been traveling south ever since. It has broken the 20-day and 50-day to the downside today and other technical indicators are saying that a trip back to $10.20 may be in order.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SZYM&p=D&b=5&g=...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement