UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Re: Paid Off CC, FICO Down by 25 Points Date: 10/2/2003 10:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I paid off my CC the other day, thinking it would raise score significantly (as it had in the past) and to my horrible surprise, my FICO dropped by 25 points.

You jumped the gun. If you paid off your card the, AND checked your score the other day, the CRAs had no idea that your card was paid off yet. You may have to wait weeks - even months. Actually, it may NEVER get reported. It's entirely at the discretion of the lender to report data to the CRAs. In the process of buying my house, current credit reports showed debts owed to credit cards that had been paid off for months - literally. I just had to cross out the debts shown on the report, and replace them with zeros. Your score could have dropped for any number of reasons (did you close any accounts?), but I would venture to say it had nothing to do with you paying off your card. Did you order a credit report too, or just a FICO? If you got a credit report, check the balance it shows on the account you paid off.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement