UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: I dont like insurance companies Date: 2/2/2001 9:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I participate in my companies 401-K plan administrated through American United Life. The only index fund available is a fund called SSgA S&P 500 Flagship Fund. This fund is proprietary to the insurance industry and is not listed like a normal mutual fund with a symbol followed by an "X".

I did some checking via the Web, and found the website for State Street Global Advisors. They give a link to the "info sheet" for the fund, www.ssgafunds.com/fundsfac/pdf/svspx_sp500.pdf -- which mentions the symbol for the fund, SVSPX, and the expense ratio, 0.18%.

But American United Life states the expense ratio of the fund available to you as 0.25%: www.aul.com/images/pension/aulternativesN/ssga500N.pdf

It looks like they're charging something like 0.07% for handling the account. But maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

I imagine if you check the NAV for SVSPX, it will not match the "unit price" they quote you.

If I were in your situation, I wouldn't really distrust the company -- there are always costs associated with a 401(k) plan, and there's nothing to indicate that these are out of line. I think you should monitor the performance of the fund, and make sureit seems to track the S&P 500 Index fairly well. There will be variables such as how quickly your contributions are credited and invested. "They" should be able to answer your questions in this regard.

Good luck,
Phooley in Phoenix
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement