UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: terrynor One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741516  
Subject: Re: LBYM - LASIK Eye Surgery - $995 or less Date: 12/13/2000 11:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I participated in an newspaper investigation on Lasik eye centers. A reporter friend recruited me. When I looked at surgery last year I was told by my surgeon that I probably should not have the surgery since I have a rather high correction (~-9.5) with a moderately thin cornea. Specifically, he said there would not be enough cornea left to do a "touch up" if the first operation did not prove satisfactory. My doc said, "I would be one of the best to do the surgery if you want it, but I recommend against it." I asked if he would allow his son to have the surgery under the same conditions (a friend from high school), my doc said "never."

I visited seven surgery centers in the Denver metro area with fees ranging from $700 to $1500 per eye. My eye exam/screening was conducted by a "technician" in all cases. In all 7 cases I was informed that I was a marginal patient. Two said they did not recommend the procedure for me and would strongly recommend against it. Three said my thin cornea was a problem and recommended I not have the surgery, but they would do it if I wanted. The final two surgeons said there was a risk but minimized it and recommended the surgery saying I probably won't need a "touch up." (Never mind there would be little to touch up.)

Although all the surgery centers identified the risk, they differed in their interpretation. (BTW: The cheapest clinic was one of the "no way" group.)

My recommendations:
- You have a pair of eyes, be sure to get a pair of opinions unless you have a reason to trust your practictioner.
- If the doctor identifies any additional risk such as a thin cornea, diabetes, etc., listen carefully to the recommendations. Research the risk. My personal advice would be to forget about surgery. The risk of complications is just not worth it!
- Price does not necessarily equal quality. (I wish I had noted the type of car driven by each doctor!)

Be careful out there!
terrynor

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement