Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I pay my CPA $500 to prepare my taxes. He's very thorough and advises me on tax strategies to help reduce my tax liability.

Question 1- Am I paying too much? We are dinks (double income no kids) working at corporations and bought a house last year.

If all you have is W-2 income (from your corporate jobs), dividends, interest, perhaps some investment income, and a house - then IMHO you're paying too much. That's a dead simple return, either with pencil and paper or with $30 tax software (like TurboTax). Certainly some situations require professional help - small businesses, estates, maybe real estate transactions, etc. Some people have math and/or tax phobia. Fair enough. And maybe your tax guy is giving you great, tax saving advice - though I can't imagine that you couldn't do as well yourself.

Question 2- His fee is deductible. Does this make it a wash?

No. His fee, and other miscellaneous deductions, are only deductible to the extent that they exceed 2% of your gross income. And even after you meet that hurdle, a $500 deduction is worth only $140 (assuming you're in the 28% tax bracket).

I don't mean to disparage the many fine tax pros and CPAs on this board. Your circumstances may be such that $500 is a bargain, and money well spent - only you can make that judgement. It's just that as you describe your situation, it's simple enough that you should be able to do it yourself, and at considerably less cost.

Lorenzo (cheap and self-reliant)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement