Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I plan on fully funding a Traditional IRA for my wife and myself for the 2002 tax year. Both of these will be fully deductible as I do not have any employer plan and my wife does not work.

My question is, do these IRAs need to be funded before I file my taxes or can I file at any time as long as the IRAs are funded prior to April 15th?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can fund the IRA any time up to April 15, even if you have already filed. In case you're thinking of filing "with" the IRA and then not funding it, remember that the IRS will get a report from your IRA trustee documenting IRA contributions. It will take some time, but they will be matched to the tax return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.