Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mazske Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: FIRE entirely on salary Date: 1/5/2007 10:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 17
I plan to FIRE at age 50. The most money I have ever made in one year so far is about $39,000. The most my wife has ever made is around $14,000 in a year.

I have two kids.

I am buying my home.

I spent about 10 years in the Navy as an enlisted person and am currently in the Reserves. I can retire soon, but won't receive any pension until age 60.

I am a police officer. I have done this for about 9 years. I plan to retire early from this job when I have 20 years in.

I have saved something since my 20's. Never a lot, but through the years, it's gone up, sometimes down, but slowly, ever so slowly, it grows.

My house will be paid off the year I plan to retire.

Since health insurance is the curveball that I don't want to knock me out, there probably is a good chance I'll work after age 50 in some capacity.

I've written my first book, due to come out this year. It's a novel. I may not make much off of this, but then again, maybe I will. It's the first book of hopefully many more. Maybe I'll write FT when I'm age 50. We'll see.

I'm also the president of a Foundation that I'm the co-founder of. I'm trying to promote literacy to reduce crime and to improve society. Along with the Foundation, The Book 'Em Foundation, I have started several literacy programs that I'm working on spreading globally. I'm working on spreading my Book 'Em event globally as well.

Who knows, but maybe this Foundation will grow that by the time I'm planning to FIRE, I can start drawing a salary.

See www.bookemfoundation.org for a bit more on Book 'Em. I'm the webmaster, thus my "patience" message on the homepage. I'm just too busy and not a webmaster by trade, so I'm slow at updating the site.

Here's an example of how I'm promoting literacy.

On Thursday, I worked. During the day, I read in 3 classes. I read to two kindergarten classes and one 5th grade class. I read to them in uniform. In January, I'll probably read to about 40 classes, ranging from Pre-K to 5th grade.

Today, Friday, I went into 13 8th grade English classes and gave a talk in each one on making positive choices. I gave every student a copy of the book by Paul Langan, published by Townsend Press, called "The Bully".

Monday, I will go into every 9th grade English class at the local high school. I'll give a talk to the kids on abuse and give every student a free copy of the Townsend Press book "Surviving Abuse: Four True Stories".

By the end of this school year, the number of classes I've read to or have had other police officers read to will probably be around 500.

By the end of this school year, I will have handed out over 10,000 books.

I plan to grow both of these programs every year.

Good luck in everyone's quest to FIRE. As the FIRE Wannabee who started this board a few years back, I guess I can say that it's more important to positively impact others than it is to FIRE. So, keep plugging away, but along the road to FIRE, don't forget to stop and smell the roses and do offer a helping hand when you can.

mazske the FIRE Wannabee who hopes he can positively impact the world.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement