Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I prefer not to share my river with others.

How does that work? Is the river closed to navigation -- even for kayaks?

No, of course not, or I would not be allowed to use it either...and that can be an issue on some rivers/creeks if someone owns both sides of the riverbed and it is not deemed "navigable" by an authority. By law it is considered trespassing and you can be arrested for floating past someone's property on one of those creeks, which tend to be the smaller ones that are kayakable only after a decent rain. If you want to buy a waterfront property with the intent to float it, it is important to research it and make sure you are allowed access. Some land owners will even string up barbed wire across a non-navigable creek, particularly in hotly contested prize fishing creeks.

And for the most part, I was being facetious. I don't mind and even enjoy other kayakers on the creek since there are few and we can swap info about the river. But one of the things I love about our river, (and I use that term loosely since it is actually a creek but so wide that it doesn't get the strainers you have to worry about when a tree falls across, not the skinny shallow rocky thing I think of as a creek,) is that I can kayak for hours without seeing another soul. There is very little public access, though lots on the James which our creek flows into. That is where the general public descends with the outfitters.

We first experienced the area by renting a place for vacation and instantly fell in love. Took us 4 years to find a place that was not too camp-y and prone to flooding, or frankly even available. For the most part, people just don't sell here, with properties being handed down from generation to generation, and frankly because of the precipitous nature of much of the creek as it goes through the "mountains," there is not a lot of build-able frontage. I am a little worried about the 200 acres across the creek that has been put up for sale. It would make a nice development with lots of waterfront lots. I rather like the view I have now, much preferring listening to nature and the creek than some teens stereo cranked high or other sounds of suburbia. Ah well, I guess most of them just use earbuds and their phones these days. If it gets more developed, that will just kick our resale price up higher when we decide we don't want to live there anymore. Right now it's a hidden gem.

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement