UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: vtjon One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: t.Retirement won't happen for me Date: 8/18/2006 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I put myself through vet school 31 years ago and today own my own clinic. I'll be paying back the bank for 20 more years.

I feel for you, and agree that small business owners do get the shaft for a variety of reasons.

You mention that you will be paying down notes for twenty more years. Do you have any equity in the practice? Is that something that can be sold when you actually retire? What about taking on a partner in the practice--selling off your share over time?

I really do feel for you, but I think you may need to reevalutate your situation. Could you go work at an animal hospital instead? Are you able to meet your obligations while still putting some funds away for the future? As hard as it may be, leaving your practice may be the only thing that will allow you to retire one day. Especially given that you're business won't be in the clear until you are 76 years old and have some serious financial responsibilities.

I know how hard it can be to leave something that you've built from the ground up. Especially given that you seem to take good care of your employees and I'd imagine your patients as well. I used to work for a small business owner who just went through this. She built a business for 35 years and wanted to pass it on to her children. Unfortunately, she came to realize that it didn't make sense to hold onto it. Fortunately she had some equity in her business, and a lifetime of skills to take with her to her next career.

Unfortunately, Congress won't get around to helping you. There's much more political steam in debating flag burning vs. tax credits for small businesses. You're going to have to evaluate your finances and find a solution for yourself. As I'm sure you know as a single mom, relying on someone else often just leads you to disappointment.

-VTJon
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement