Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86587  
Subject: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 40
I'm having A Day. First of all, I had a sewing class last night and my husband had a UNIX class, and when I got home the babysitter needed a ride home and my husband was in what is, for him, an EXTREMELY rare bad mood - his class was a disaster of miscommunications and mess-ups. So he rages that he's still got homework to do and he isn't going to put any of the kids to bed NOR is he going to take the babysitter home and so just DEAL. (While I was listening to his rant about the class and the Internet worm that had hit the SQL Server at work [and I very nobly refrained from mentioning that I had mentioned that it was happening AS it was happening], the babysitter God bless her quietly took the last child up to bed.) So, I got to bed about 10:30 and couldn't get to sleep, and then the alarm went off at 3:30 as usual. So, I'm starting the day grumpy and tired.

Then Number Two daughter had a diaper leak and I had to change the crib sheets and scrape together a load of laundry to wash them. Then she peed in the potty, declared herself done, and then promptly peed on ME while I was manuevering her back to the diaper table to put a clean one on her. ARGH. Change the clothes, decide that since it's so 'fresh' they can just go into the load already halfway through the wash cycle.

She then goes into the playroom and promptly HITS the baby on the top of the head with a plastic piano screaming, "NO, you don't use my toys!" All three of us are screaming. Not a good start to the morning.

I get everybody's toast together and Eldest Daughter suddenly looks up at me with great serious eyes and says, "I don't like toast with butter AND honey, mommy, I just only wanted honey." Eat the toast, !NO!, eat the toast, !NO!, eat the toast, !NO!, OKAY FINE IT'S A LONG TIME UNTIL LUNCH AND I DON'T WANNA HEAR A WORD ABOUT HOW STARVING YOU ARE!!!!! <pause> <sob, sob, sob> AND STOP THAT CRYING!

Then the library's automated system calls to tell me my husband's books on tape order is in. Their message takes eight minutes to go through it's entire run. If you hang up, it weirdly does not disconnect them! If you pick up the phone any time up to that eight minutes after you initially answer, it will still be there like a computerized stalker. They call back three times. I am starting to feel like screaming at a computer to leave me alone or I'm calling the police!

Then my manicurist, who cannot seem to understand the concept that I am not free to come on in any old time, calls and says she has to reschedule my appointment, moving it from Friday to another day...like, how about tomorrow. I think some snippy thoughts about how hard it is, really, to understand that a woman who has three (3) non-school-aged children at home cannot just traipse on in for a nail appointment any old time and say, "Well, I'll try and see if I can get a sitter but I tell you what, I doubt I can do it that fast."

I know full d@mned well I can't get a sitter on that short a notice. And guess what? The next time I have scheduled childcare is three weeks from now. That's right! My appointment will have to be pushed back three weeks before I will have enough time to come in for a fill.

Phone rings, it's a friend who needs money. I tell her I don't have any but I've heard the gummint is giving it away wholesale to anybody who isn't me. She tells me I'm sounding grumpy and I tell her she's got it in one. We gossip about our men for a little while and ring off.

Eldest daughter suddenly goes into a screaming fit of excitement because she's won her Rugrats game and wakes up both the napping children. I almost want to hit her, but console myself with the thought that now maybe the two younger horrors might go to bed earlier than usual.

The doorbell rings, and I go and peek out the window sash and see a guy standing on my porch that I think is my neighbor from up the street - I'm thinking, "Uh oh, I hope one of their kids hasn't gone missing again" (they've run off a couple times and hid, scaring their poor mother witless). Nope, it's a guy with American Blah blah blah marketing services ma'am have you heard of our non-profit...

I don't exactly slam the door on him, but it closes PDQ with a mutter about dinner being on the table and can't leave the baby alone with food. As I'm shooting the second bolt home on the door and thinking, "Great, just great, I'm opening the door to salesmen, I've gotta get a close look at the d@mned neighbor of mine some time!" I hear a piercing scream from the kitchen. The baby is holding her hand and screaming in extreme misery and Middle Child is looking guilty and is hiding her fork behind her back. I decide that I am running away from home just as soon as I can arrange childcare and take the fork away from Middle Child, who then screams and cries and throws her spoon at me.

I want to go home. Oh wait, I am home. I want to go to somebody ELSE'S home.

Oh well. At least I've got some good India Pale Ale cold in the fridge. In another hour I can start getting the little terrorists off to bed and work on my mood. In the meantime, I'm going to read some of the boards and try not to be pissy with people.

Onward!
Tamarian
...typing to you with a squirming baby on my lap pounding on the keyboard we've put out there for the purpose...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51186 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 10:23 PM
Recommendations: 0

Now, now, just drink that ale and relax for a moment. We'll see what we can do.

There's the sofabed, but you'll have to provide your own pillows, and the cat will come to inspect you in the middle of the night. I get up at 3:45 provided there's work, but perhaps you can sleep through my morning get-up activities.

How do you feel about dusting?

Nancy
willing to provide a sanctuary.

Author: PosNetWorth Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51187 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 10:31 PM
Recommendations: 3
I tried to find the lyrics to this song on the web, but I'm forced to <gasp> type the words myself. My mother claimed that this was her favorite song when we were growing up.

"My Mother Ran Away Today"
by Barry Louis Polisar, copyright 1978
(His website is www.barrylou.com, this is available on the "Naughty Songs for Boys and Girls" CD)

My mother ran away today,
She walked right out the door
She packed her toothbrush and her pajamas, said
"Can't take it no more!"

She said she was tired,
She said she'd had her fill,
Cooking our meals, washing our clothes,
And cleaning all our spills.

She said she'd write us letters,
No return address,
Said that she'd come back someday,
But now she had to rest.

She took the plants, she took the cats,
And our pictures from the wall,
And though it's only been two hours ago,
I wish that she would call.

I never thought I'd miss her,
Isn't that the way?
You never know how much Mom means to ya
'til she runs away.

The album also has delightful songs like "Never Cook Your Sister in a Frying Pan" and "You Can't Say 'Psbpsbpsb' on the Radio."

Take a deep breath, don't pull out any lethal weapons, and enjoy your beer.

-- Laura

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51188 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 10:50 PM
Recommendations: 4
There's the sofabed, but you'll have to provide your own pillows, and the cat will come to inspect you in the middle of the night. I get up at 3:45 provided there's work, but perhaps you can sleep through my morning get-up activities

LOL! We had some friends unexpectedly stop by due to a tremendous storm this year - usually they stop over with us EVERY year, and as they shuffled damply into our house I commented that I was glad they had been forced to stop by and had thought that maybe they weren't doing their trip to Oregon this year or something. The wife says, "Well, um, ahem, we didn't want to impose...and it always feels like we're imposing..."

I blinked at her in shock for a moment, my Celtic sense of hospitality offended, and then I realized why they might feel that way. Up until this very year, I was leaving the house at 3:30 every morning to hit the old commuting highway; I never had time off, and Christmas was, in fact, always a very stressful and overtime-centered time of year for me. So they'd come over and I'd come dragging home at 7-7:30, grunt at them, slam some pizza, grunt some more, declare myself "going to bed" at 9:00 latest, then get up and start grinding coffee beans at 3:25 because I had forgotten all about doing it the night before (the sofabed was in the playroom, which is right next to the kitchen, which is where I would do the grinding before realizing that if I had been a nice (and awake) person I could have taken the darned grinder into another room to do the actual grinding), drop several items on my way to the door, use a few words that really shouldn't be used in mixed company, and never remember to catch the connecting door so that it wouldn't !SLAM! shut as I departed in a rush of forgotten techno-gadgets.

Now, WHY I ask you, would anybody think that just because someone was behaving in this bizarre fashion, it meant that they were imposing? How were they supposed to know that this was, in fact, the status quo around our Den of Chaos?

Now the sofabed is in the office and they can close the door so that neither of our cats can come to yowl at the foot of the bed in the middle of the night...and I'm unemployed, so I'm getting plenty of rest and most of my brain is functioning fairly normally. Except that I insist on getting up with my DH in the morning because it used to piss ME off so badly that he got to sleep in while I had to suffer all the sleep-deprived torments. I know, it makes no sense. But I just feel better if my husband goes off to face the wild-eyed barbarians with a hot cup of coffee in one hand, a bagged lunch in the other and having been told that he is a loved man by a red-eyed, bed-haired woman in fuzzy slippers and ill-fitting flannel pajamas. Besides, then I get up to two hours of blissful peace and quiet to work on "whatever" before the kids start climbing all over me shrieking for attention.

Onward!
Tamarian

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51189 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 10:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
The album also has delightful songs like "Never Cook Your Sister in a Frying Pan"

Funny, I think I said those very words just the other day...

Onward!
Tamarian
...thanks for the laugh!...

Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51190 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 11:13 PM
LOL Nice one, Laura! Kinda reminds me of a good friend of mine. When we were in high school, her mom would occasionally decide she'd had enough and go on strike. This wasn't like the Mom who made news for doing it not too long ago - she just quit doing any cooking or housework at all. It worked wonders for teaching the kids to cook & clean.

Kaiti

Author: Gimmeaminute Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51191 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/28/2003 11:14 PM
Oh Tam, Please excuse me while I ROFLMAOTIMEPIMP at you! God, woman, tell me that you at least punished older child, like a good back hand or the sort, PLEASE!? ;-)

I'm sorry hun, I know of the days you speak of, remember when you can't decide if you should smack them or hug them, grab them and hold them as tight as you can and when they complain they can't breath say, "Well, that's better than not being able to sit down because I want to tan your butt right now."

Deannda
Hang in there hun, wish I was closer and could help you out

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51192 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 2:29 AM
I'm unemployed

Where was I when that news hit? Ok, now I've got to ask....was it easier being a working Mom of three or a SAHM of three?

I might need you to stir up trouble on a LBYM's tread I've got to keep going:)

Utahtea

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51193 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 3:11 AM
Recommendations: 1
...typing to you with a squirming baby on my lap pounding on the keyboard we've put out there for the purpose...
-------------

I've never thought of this........thanks tons.......

Countess
--typing with a squirming cranky baby pounding on the keyboard i'm trying to type with--

Author: TheHotFool Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51195 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 10:35 AM
Tamarian,

1) is the baby's hand ok?
2) is your husband still around?
3) what have u done with the children?
4) how many Pale Ales will it take to change your mood?

You don't have to necessarily have to answer them in any particular order --

LOL

Uncle Jeffy

Author: RalphCramden Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51197 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 11:30 AM
Kira at Bashi. Temba, his arms wide.

Shaka, when the walls fell. Zinda! His face black, his eyes red! Kiazi's children, their faces wet.

Mirab, his sails unfurled,
Ralph

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51198 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 11:45 AM
Kin I have their stuff?

Raggmopp

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51199 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 12:13 PM
Tamarian,

If you don't mind two cats and sleeping on either a sofa or futon, you're welcome at my place in SoCal anytime! Great food, couple of single piratey wimmin to hang out with, NO CHILDREN, dozens of local day spas, and you can sleep as late as you want....

Cassandra

Author: learning2earn Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51202 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 2:19 PM
I'm so there with you. I've got a 12 year old daughter, and a 7 year old boy that has ADHD.

Talk about spinning out of control.

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51203 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 2:24 PM
1) is the baby's hand ok?
Yes - no skin broken.

2) is your husband still around?
Yes - the poor guy doesn't have enough money to leave us

3) what have u done with the children?
Two words: Cartoon Network

4) how many Pale Ales will it take to change your mood?
Ummmm...ummmmm...ummmm...I'll get back to you...

WOOT!

Onward!
Tamarian

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51204 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 3
Where was I when that news hit? Ok, now I've got to ask....was it easier being a working Mom of three or a SAHM of three?

I might need you to stir up trouble on a LBYM's tread I've got to keep going:)

Working was definitely easier. More restful. I got to take breaks. Nobody ever came and pounded on the stall door while I was taking care of business screaming, "But I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED you!" Not to mention that I'm getting dish-pan hands from all the cleaning. Something ALWAYS seems to be in need of scrubbing around here. Three small kids...my kitchen floor looks like Grand Central Station at 6:15 on a Friday, ya know?

And you know what else? I think the KIDS were happier when they were in daycare. Seriously. Maybe my kids are just weird, but since they've been home exclusively the two older ones in particular have been bored and grumpy, and keep asking if it's time to go back to school yet. My two year old has regressed back to diapers and my four year old lies around crying because she wants to see her boyfriend (!!!) at school and misses getting her girlfriends and teachers to put pretties in her hair.

I guess teachers and classmates who pay attention to you are probably more fun than a mommy who is constantly saying, "In a minute, sweetie, I just have to <take out the garbage><mop the floor><wash the dishes><mop the floor><vacuum the hall><mop the floor>..."

Onward!
Tamarian
...willing to give up FOOD in exchange for part-time group care...

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51205 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 2:48 PM
God, woman, tell me that you at least punished older child, like a good back hand or the sort, PLEASE!? ;-)

I have not been so sorely tempted in a long, long time.

They did lose a bunch of toys to a 24-hour time out in the garage last night. "OK, guys, clean up the toys." <time passes, kids are arguing about whether or not Barbie wants to wear a pink dress> "Yo, kids. Toys. Clean. Now." <time passes - children are lying on the floor kicking their legs in the air and staring at the ceiling fan> "Awwwwwwwright. See the bin? See this, look at this, HEY! Quit ignoring me AND LOOKIT THE BIN! I'm gonna set this timer for five (5) minutes. Any toys that are NOT picked up and put in the drawer are going into this bin and out in the garage for a time out." <time passes, children are lying on the floor idly banging blocks on each other's heads; mommy gives them the countdown: you've got five minutes...four minutes...three minutes...two minutes...ONE MINUTE, GUYS!...> <timer beeps>

They lost an entire laundry basket's worth of toys last night. Hysteria reigned! But I was heartless, unmoved by their tears or their wrath! This is nothing new...but it is the first time in a long time that they haven't really moved it when the wire bin I use to collect the 'timed out' toys made its ominous appearance on the playroom floor...

Onward!
Tamarian
...beatings will continue until morale improves...

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51206 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 3:14 PM
How'd you like a nice low-stress job of negotiating the disarmament of North Korea?

Raggmopp

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51207 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 3:19 PM
LOL! We had some friends unexpectedly stop by due to a tremendous storm this year - usually they stop over with us EVERY year, and as they shuffled damply into our house I commented that I was glad they had been forced to stop by and had thought that maybe they weren't doing their trip to Oregon this year or something. The wife says, "Well, um, ahem, we didn't want to impose...and it always feels like we're imposing..."

Well, you're welcome to come, but I know the sleeping conditions are not pleasant.

If things get truly bad I'll see if my Mom can take you in. The guest bedroom is upstairs, by itself, with a private bath and walk-in closet.

Let me know if you're interested. . . .

Nancy

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51211 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 5:37 PM

Uh, it gets better, I think!

At least that's what 'they' tell me!

Hope you get some relax.

Andrea

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51213 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 5:52 PM
And you know what else? I think the KIDS were happier when they were in daycare. Seriously.

I seriously believe that. Pumpkin seemed to be better mooded when in full day care when he was younger. I don't know what it is. We got along much, much better than when I was home all the time.

Nowadays, he is just the cat's meow. He is such a lovely, darling boy to be around - thoughtful, sweet, mature for his age, and we can talk about any and everything. He does his chores or anything I ask him to without so much as an 'Awww, Mom'. He has so much in him. I know we haven't hit the teenage years yet and all this might change, but I love the boy he is growing into.

Andrea

Author: Dragonshark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51219 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 8:43 PM
The Den of Chaos?

cool

<<<<. Besides, then I get up to two hours of blissful peace and quiet to work on "whatever" before the kids start climbing all over me shrieking for attention.
>>>

kids and pets (yowling at neighbors), the perfect wakeup call

Author: homeski One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51222 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/29/2003 9:43 PM
God bless you and keep you.....I have never met you yet I would vote for you for Sainthood.....Hang in there kid....time is going by like a rocket and the brass ring is simply a blur.....If I could I would reach out and give you a big hug (along with one of them pale ale things...lol).

Forever on your side,

homeski

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51228 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/30/2003 1:01 AM
Tamarian,

As the SAHM of three under five years of age, I feel for you. This is what is getting me through the day lately:

http://www.cedarworks.com/playsets/detail.php?s=JJBX1

Yesterday, the two oldest were on it all day. It is not just swinging. They take a bunch of toys out there and play "role playing" types of games. We put the set on a bed of pea stone, so they play with the stones too (via dump trucks, etc.). There are two little chairs in the main tower and I even started packing their lunch for them to eat in their chairs. They spend a few hours each day on it unless it is raining or very cold. I usually send them out there during baby's naptime. Then I monitor them.

This set was expensive, but it is worth it's weight in gold.

I homeschool preschool, so I do spend time with my kids - really! But all SAHM's need a little break every day. Believe me, this set was more for me than for them...

Author: TamarianG Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51233 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/30/2003 11:51 AM
As the SAHM of three under five years of age, I feel for you. This is what is getting me through the day lately:
http://www.cedarworks.com/playsets/detail.php?s=JJBX1

We have one too! We've got a Playnation dual-slide model (like the fortress deluxe of theirs) with the little fort on top, three swings and a clatter-bridge, and a big old sandbox at the base. They LOVE it. :)

They haven't been able to use it for a while, though, because of the mud conditions. We don't have any kind of tanbark or anything around it yet, so when it rains out here it turns into a swamp! The last time we tried to go out there, they sank to their ankles in the stuff and we haven't yet found one of the shoes they lost! Brand new one, too, naturally... :(

I'll tell you what saves me right now: the fact that my baby's nap and my toddler's nap overlap by about an hour to an hour and a half in the late afternoon (right when I start hitting my exhaustion-wall) AND my eldest loves to play those kiddie video games! If I let her, I think she'd sit there all day long with her Clifford game.

Anyway, it's time for me to go make something for them to eat again. Rotten kids, they seem to think they should be fed every day. Multiple times, too. :-/

Onward!
Tamarian
...can go for days on nothing but coffee and beer, why can't they?...

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51234 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/30/2003 12:09 PM
can go for days on nothing but coffee and beer, why can't they?...

Have you tried it on them?

Bob :{)

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51242 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/30/2003 6:17 PM
Tamarian,

Cool! Peastone is cheap and will take care of your mud problem. Just put that landscape liner stuff under it. DH also spread some weed prevention stuff I think. Then add the peastone.
Then the kids will have a place to work off all their excess energy and you will have more quiet time. win-win.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51244 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/30/2003 6:40 PM
Cool! Peastone is cheap and will take care of your mud problem. Just put that landscape liner stuff under it. DH also spread some weed prevention stuff I think. Then add the peastone.
Then the kids will have a place to work off all their excess energy and you will have more quiet time. win-win.

If necessary, you can buy some flagstones to give them a dry place to walk to get to the play area, but I do understand that you have to wait for the rains to stop and the checkbook to balance before you undertake this project.

Nancy
who hasn't figured out how to pay the rent yet, but who has hopes.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51255 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 1/31/2003 10:23 PM
I'll tell you what saves me right now: the fact that my baby's nap and my toddler's nap overlap by about an hour to an hour and a half in the late afternoon (right when I start hitting my exhaustion-wall) AND my eldest loves to play those kiddie video games! If I let her, I think she'd sit there all day long with her Clifford game.

Toddler naps??? What's that?
Kathleen
(two under 6, both homeschooled, not much trouble because I wear them out)

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51273 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 2/1/2003 2:41 AM
And you know what else? I think the KIDS were happier when they were in daycare. Seriously. Maybe my kids are just weird, but since they've been home exclusively the two older ones in particular have been bored and grumpy, and keep asking if it's time to go back to school yet. My two year old has regressed back to diapers and my four year old lies around crying because she wants to see her boyfriend (!!!) at school and misses getting her girlfriends and teachers to put pretties in her hair.

It sounds like they miss the companionship of kids their own age. Are there any park programs you get them involved in? Do you know of any other Mom's that are at home that have kids your kids ages? If so try trading off babysitting. You take their kids and then your kids have someone to play with which helps and then they take your kids which is even better! The baby might be more of a problem.

I had my boys in a co-op preschool. It was really cheap because I had to work there once a week. I also met other Mom's there and we traded babysitting while we worked and on other occasions too.

Utahtea

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51284 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 2/1/2003 2:39 PM
Kira at Bashi. Temba, his arms wide.

Shaka, when the walls fell. Zinda! His face black, his eyes red! Kiazi's children, their faces wet.

Hmmm, watching a bit too much of Capt. Pickard are we?

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51288 of 86587
Subject: Re: I quit Date: 2/1/2003 2:57 PM

I'm a bit late to this particular post, but I'll answer anyway. For me, working was definitely easier. There's nobody home for 8+ hours a day, so the house doesn't get dirty during that time. Outside employment has clearly defined requirements and duties. Being a SAHM means flying by the seat of your pants quite often. I could name a few thousand more things, but you get the idea.

Three small kids...my kitchen floor looks like Grand Central Station at 6:15 on a Friday, ya know?

I don't know how long you've been home, Tamarian, but I've been through it. Two pieces of advice:
1. Get a dog.
2. Lower your standards on "clean".

Try getting involved with a Mom's group or something. Even if you aren't interested, most homschool groups will have some thing for the little ones as there always seems to be a bunch of them around. And life is much easier when you have 5 moms watching 10-14 kids. You can take a breather to the bathroom, and stuff like that.

When I first came home, the first year was a horror show. My poor Hubby came home every night to hear me complain about how horrible the kids behaved, etc. Now, we've reached a group consensus between the girls and I, we will work together. Kids love helping, you just have to allow them to make mistakes while they are trying to help.
Muncho (5yo) is learning to vacuum the floor. Bunny (4yo) is learning to fold her clothes. We do schoolwork everyday. Bunny is studying her letters and learning to write. Muncho is reading on about a 1st grade level, and getting better all the time. They set the table for dinner, and clear it when we are done. None of this happened immediately or without pain (usually on my part). We;ve broken a few dishes, and stuff like that, but stuff happens.
Now, if I could only get the husband trained.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement