No. of Recommendations: 1
I read somewhere that I can "borrow" from my IRA account without having to pay taxes, as long as I replace the money within 60 days. Is that option for real? I may need to do this to cover a short-term emergency. Can someone with an experience on this situation please advice?

What you are talking about is a "rollover." Once per 12 month period you can withdraw funds from an IRA and replace them within 60 days without tax consequence. Miss the deadline and you have a taxable distribution that cannot be replaced. Assuming you're under 59 1/2, the 10% premature distribution penalty would also apply.

You can read about rollovers in IRS Publication 590.

Phil Marti

Hot off the press! Check out The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide 2001. It comes complete with a money-back guarantee. (Sorry, the steak knives are extra.)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.