Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3723  
Subject: Re: potential dilemma Date: 7/4/2002 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
I read this last night, er, um, really early this morning and decided I need to think about it before trying to explain my thoughs on the issue.

In the distant past godparents were the people chosen to raise the child/children if parents were killed or died before the child/children were old enough to fend for themselves. However that is no longer the case, but it is still a great honor and one that deals with the respective wishes of the parents.

I believe in assisting in the raising of my nieces and nephews. I believe that it is my duty to uphold their parents wishes...this does not mean that I need to uphold any prejudes thoughts of ideas the parents have. It does mean that if my nieces and nephews that visit me are in a home that attends a specific type of church that I believe it is my duty to take that child or children to that same type of church. However, it doesn't mean I need to keep quiet my belief that no one church is 100% right or wrong and that there are a wide variety of ways of worshiping and as intelligent creatures they are duty bound to seek and not follow blindly.

As I was written in several wills as the sole custodian of several children from different families I feel this is important.

One esxample...

Sister : Strict Catholic wants her children raised attending Catholic Schools...going to Mass etc. I would do that if her and her husband died leaving me their children to raise...I would attempt to impart on them their parents beliefs, while also providing information on other religions and even on the fact that there are a lot of good people that don't believe in any God, Goddess, or Higher Power.

The key thing is I personally belief that so many of my siblings want me to be the one to raise their kids if anything goes wrong, because I would - in all areas - not just religious ones - attempt to teach them what their parents were like and believed, even though many of my beliefs are different.

However, I would continue to teach them my viewpoints...which I already do...and their parents are aware of that.

Bottom line, if anyone in my family asked me to stand up as a Godparent in whichever religion they follow I would...and if the worst happen I'd do my best to teach that child the religious beliefs of his/her parents, while extolling the virtues of looking for your own path.

Long winded...hopefully not too confusing.

StarWarrior-Rie
Piece of advice...follow your heart...

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement